Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #1

Greetings from the southern terminus of the Appalachian Mountains!

So yes, in the middle of Alabama here.

My current experience with Pentax began when I decided a mirrorless camera might be a nice step up from a point and shoot. Something still small and easy to carry around but with more options. Saw the Pentax k-01 on the internet, but it was looking quite chunky & heavy for such a system - better to keep on looking, yes?

But, the k-01 kept invading my thoughts. "Remember my lovely boxy body... my nice big sensor...the incredibly large choice of lenses... my small price...?," it whispered incessantly when I continued to look at the competitors. So, I got one on "closeout" that included the 40mm lens. The price for value was a huge incentive.

Only concern so far was that something sounded/felt clunky within the k-01 body. But it seems it is the body shake reduction system after browsing through some old threads. Some very useful info on this forum. Yesterday was my first experience with the k-01, and so far I like it but there is much to learn.

Also own an old Pentax MX film camera, but it has been a very, very long time since I have used it. Funny that we have kept it while a long string of cameras before or since then have either been sold or given away. The MX has a Pentax 50mm f2, a Starblitz 28mm f2.8, and a heavy Makinon 80-200mm in it's bag.

Looking forward to meeting all of the Pentaxians. And, hopefully, taking some great pictures along the way.

08-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... nice intro and enjoy your Pentax gear ... hope to see a future image or two ... J
08-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! You shouldn't let those primes stay in the bag. The K-01 with a 28, a 40, and a 50 sounds like a great combo
08-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the welcome Jean & savoche! Yes, part of what I love about getting back to Pentax is that so many old lenses are available and can be put to good use. It will be interesting to see if there is much difference between the old 50mm and the new 40mm. So far the image quality with the 40mm looks great. I need to come up with a fix for shooting in bright sun since I can't see much of anything outdoors. That is priority one here since the sun is unrelenting for half of the year. Wondering if I should have went with a DSLR, but the cost of this system wasn't that much more than the cost of the 40mm lense so no regrets.

08-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, though I only joined yesterday and only introduced myself today.
When I saw your title I thought you were talking about Springer Mountain, the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail which until just now thought of as the Southern Terminus of the Appalachians. LOL. Despite my age (67) I still harbor the wish to do the AT some day.
08-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bigger the better

Hi from one new guy to another. I think you should buy a Sears kr 60-300 zoom. Not expensive and once you Dremel off the dreaded Ricoh pin you're good to go. Besides nothing is better than a 3 pound lens!
Your in good hands here! All the people I've met so far have been very friendly.
Joel

Last edited by Joel B; 08-30-2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: can't type!!
08-31-2013, 01:16 AM   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Iseapix Quote
I need to come up with a fix for shooting in bright sun since I can't see much of anything outdoors. That is priority one here since the sun is unrelenting for half of the year.
I know some people use a Hoodman type loupe with success.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/206976-k-01-loupe-type-lcd-cover.html

09-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, enjoy that new K-01.
09-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Catscradle Quote
Welcome, though I only joined yesterday and only introduced myself today.
When I saw your title I thought you were talking about Springer Mountain, the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail which until just now thought of as the Southern Terminus of the Appalachians. LOL. Despite my age (67) I still harbor the wish to do the AT some day.
Welcome to you as well - one newbie to another

Various interest groups here have been working for many years to add Alabama to the trail. Flagg mountain is the southernmost peak in the Appalachian range of over 1,000 ft and is located in east central Alabama. And,Tannehill State Park (south of the Birmingham area) contains a sign marking it as the geographic terminus of the Appalachian Mountains. Doubtful that the AT would be extended in my lifetime though.
Such a mental & physical accomplishment to be able to complete the AT!
09-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks kerrowdown! Love to dive here as well! Warm water preferred!

savoche, just finished reading the linked thread and looking into the loupe type things further! Thanks much! Might be the best solution.

Joel, thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps I might love a 6 pounder twice as much, though?!
09-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Iseapix Quote

Joel, thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps I might love a 6 pounder twice as much, though?!
Sorry about that post, Too many children and not enough sleep! On your sun trouble, i was thinking maybe black or white craft foam sheeting cut and held by bits of Velcro. Something you could experiment with cheaply. Wont pay for something if I can jury rig it myself. Think Red Green