Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

New member saying hello

My name is Tony and to my friends known as Tone. I have had an Pentax SVi 5.0 for some years that has served me well and decided to upgrade to a DSLR but read there was a camera under the heading of Bridge that would
probably do the job. When I purchased my first camera the internet never existed so to be able to research how different cameras work and how well and to compare prices is nothing short of a wonder. It was while reading a review I came across this forum so joined and was immediately impressed with how professional it was. I have a short list of preferred cameras and at the top is the Pentax X5 Bridge. It is reasonably priced yet not crammed with options I am unlikely to use. After all the camera will be used for family-type pictures only and any faults found by reviewers were small and insignificant.

08-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the X-5 and please post us an image or two soon ... J
08-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello Tony and welcome to the Forums
08-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. Reports suggest the X-5 is a good camera. I use a bridge camera (Fujifilm S1800) on some occasions and I find it does the job very well. They are convenient and they have one thing going for them that hardly ever gets mentioned - they don't lead to the LBA (lens buying addiction) that some of us develop with a DSLR. If you can change lenses you always want something new (or that you think is better/rare/quirky/etc). Post some pics for us.

09-01-2013, 02:45 AM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! Enjoy your X-5. As PJ1 says, a DSLR could end up considerably more expensive than the apparent entry price. No such problem with a bridge camera.

Unless, of course, it ends up fuelling your photo interest sufficiently to propel you into buying a DSLR later on anyway
09-01-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The PENTAX BRIDGE X5

Many thanks to all those who welcomed me so promptly. I also appreciate comments of the Pentax X5 I am considering. It's a valid point that not going for a full DSLR one might later regret but in my case am pretty sure I won't feel the need. My requirements today are a lot less demanding of a camera but won't decide until I have it in my hands to assess how it feels. I am particularly impressed with it having an eye piece and a screen that can be tilted to take account of problems with seeing the target properly. In my case I have had a cataract operation that makes my eyes particularly light sensitive.

Tony
09-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard the forum, the only down side of coming here is that a large group of people, will now help you spend lots of money on "must have" Pentax kit.

09-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi kerrowdown. Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes I know how it goes and have already had a suggestions along those lines and there is some truth in it. But personal recommendations are second to non especially when they come from enthusiasts. I don't anticipate being carried away but you never know!

Tone