Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2013, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Greetings from Transylvania

Hi, I'm browsing this forum for some time now and decided to give something back, being grateful for the wealth of information found here.

I am from 'over the big pond', from Eastern Europe / Romania. The region that I call home hasn't anything to do with vampires but foreigners often say "ah, Transylvania!" and relate to movies/fiction. Well, it's behind the woods and surrounded by mountains. Those I miss very much, being homesick in the plains, on the riverbanks of the Danube, close to the Black Sea.

Photography led me to appreciate the marvel of this world, as a daily pursuit to filter the beauty out from what's not so pleasant around us.

I owned a 35mm film DSLR for over 25 years, a Pentax ME Super with a manual M50 F1.7 and a Tokina 70-200mm zoom.

Since 'Black Friday' of 2012 I'm happy with a new Pentax K30 and DA18-135mm.

I am definitely into macro photography, anything that's small, down to microscopic. Flowers, critters, textures, anything that needs a closer look and an eye for details.
Landscapes, low-light/night, timelapse movies is what I want to do more. Portraits / street / architecture / sports do not tempt me much. Wildlife maybe.
Underwater photography is what I'm very intrested in, being an avid cold-water SCUBA diver. The best UW photos that I shot so far came from a rugged Olympus mju770 SW.
I would like a housing for my Pentax K30 but I will most probably build it myself.

Now I am keen on getting a Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG dedicated macro lens. Meanwhile I play with a cheap legacy Tamron AF 28-80mm that I only use reversed for macro work, nothing else. I'm still amazed by 'the bang for the buck' with this lens reversed.

While the DA 18-135mm is fast and quiet, has a good IQ and zoom range and is well-suited as a permanent walk-around lens, my expectations have grown during the last year and I've come to appreciate the bokeh and DOF of faster lenses.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
09-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums Cristian. Glad you joined us
09-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome.... I guess I can't say anything about vampires since you cut me off at the pass. Darn. I love my Sigma 70, but I only bought it because my wife took over the Tamron 90, which is probably the best bang per buck in a Macro lens.
09-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome, and thanks for the intro! Great images too, but then you're no novice.

I second Norm on the Tamron 90mm. It seems to deliver impressive results.

09-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the K-30 and hope to see more images soon ... J
09-05-2013, 05:17 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CristiC Quote
a daily pursuit to filter the beauty out from what's not so pleasant around us
Welcome to the forum, your so right with that statement, unfortunately it seems increasingly more difficult to do.
09-06-2013, 04:50 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster