Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2013, 04:42 AM   #1

Another member from Brisbane

There seem to be a few here already

I found this forum a while back after finding a nice Program A, with 35-70 F4 zoom and AF200T flash- to replace the kit that was stolen in a break-in a few years ago. I was always happy with the Program A and was sorry when it was taken, so it was great to find the same camera and lens at a very reasonable price (even though it will never quite replace the original). Since then I have learned a whole lot more about photography (and now know the meaning of 'LBA' firsthand, largely thanks to this (excellent) forum!). Currently finding out about the huge range of interesting M42 lenses that are out there...

The next challenge will be to spend more time out with the camera, rather than just reading about photography on the 'net' and daydreaming. I have been interested for a while in trying some more serious low light photography- a K5 might be just the thing for that...

James

09-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Grey Ghost Quote

I found this forum a while back after finding a nice Program A, with 35-70 F4 zoom and AF200T flash- to replace the kit that was stolen in a break-in a few years ago. I was always happy with the Program A and was sorry when it was taken, so it was great to find the same camera and lens at a very reasonable price (even though it will never quite replace the original). Since then I have learned a whole lot more about photography (and now know the meaning of 'LBA' firsthand, largely thanks to this (excellent) forum!). Currently finding out about the huge range of interesting M42 lenses that are out there...

The next challenge will be to spend more time out with the camera, rather than just reading about photography on the 'net' and daydreaming. I have been interested for a while in trying some more serious low light photography- a K5 might be just the thing for that...

James
Welcome aboard! That particular camera is still among my favorites as far as film bodies go.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy that new gear and hope to see an image or two soon ... J
09-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! Thanks for the intro. We're wading knee-deep in Australians by now

And, yeah, all too easy to get stuck in front of the screen rather than behind a camera

09-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I found this forum a while back
Wow...I'm not sure I've seen a longer gap between "Join Date" and first post!
Now that you've been lurking for a couple of years, saying "Welcome" doesn't seem quite right...so how about..."Nice to hear from you."
09-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome. I hadn't realised it was that long since I registered- time flies.

Good to find another fan of the Program A! I really like its compact design, still think it is one of the best looking SLRs made (maybe even nicer than the Super A) and find it quite intuitive to use- it does become tricky when there is not enough light to see the shutter speed readout in the viewfinder though... A shame I never realised how good the kit lens (A50 1.7) was, or I would have used it more- the 35-70 zoom was always very convenient and performed well, although often not quite wide enough.

The Program A has been joined by a K2- one of the attractions here was mirror lock-up for long exposures. Interesting to see the difference in design philosophy with the original K-series cameras- beautiful build quality and the analogue metering display gives more control over exposure, which can be satisfying to experiment with. This one needs new rear seals, so at present is being taped up in case of light leaks. The film speed setting ring was stuck, but I (gingerly) took it apart and it is working now (although still stiff)- otherwise in great shape.

I have tried attaching a couple of images- the first from an experiment with Lomo Redscale film and the second, a Renault Dauphine Gordini from the Brisbane French Car Day (Velvia 50).
Attached Images

09-05-2013, 05:02 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, if talking about Aussie's in general, that's got to rank as understatement of the week.

09-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I have an A3000 from around the same time. Get yourself an A prime lens like the 28mm or the 50mm so you have a quicker glass option, they're the best deal in lenses I think

G'day!
09-06-2013, 04:52 AM   #9

Original Poster
Re abundant Australians, I have also been surprised to see the number of members on the forum- there doesn't seem to be much of the new gear in the shops here- maybe a lonely K5/K30/Q cowering on the most obscure shelf if lucky, and little secondhand gear... On the other hand, I would love to spend some proper time in Scotland- have only spent one day in Edinburgh (February = sun, but icy and 'lazy' wind; i.e. too lazy to go around you, so goes straight through instead).
(that's supposed to be blue for 'cold', rather than green for 'about to throw up'!)

I have just been reading about the A3000 in the camera database- I wasn't familiar with it and was surprised to find it was introduced in 1984, as was the Program A- I thought auto-winding bodies didn't come until later.

The first 'new' lens I looked for after finding the Program A was a 24mm- I always thought 24mm would be a great focal length, but couldn't have afforded one originally. It took a while, but I eventually found a nice A 24 F2.8 and really do like the field of view it gives- nice colours too. Of course that led to wanting an even wider field of view- I had a look at a second-hand Sigma 15-30 zoom a while back in a shop here and was amazed at the angle of view at 15mm on full frame. Thought about it too long and it sold though. I do drool over the 15/3.5 (any version) in the lens review section occasionally... and a K 50 F1.4 came with the K2, which introduced me to the K-series lenses. It is superb, and great when light is limited.