Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Forum Member

Hello from Dorset, UK

Hi. I was looking for an upgrade from my entry level Canon system. I did some research, some comparisons, and the Pentax K-5IIs along with the SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 lens came out as my next "baby". So, here we are, after nearly a decade with Canon I swapped their system with Pentax. Incredible, detailed quality of Pentax bodies, plus great glass feedback both from professionals and everyday users, convinced me enough. I do not particularly have a large hand, just a medium I would say, but I found it necessary to order a dedicated grip. Only then you can grasp your stuff firmly enough, not to mention about all those brilliant added benefits like comfortable vertical shooting, extra battery or additional SD memory card slot. Also the overall look of the SLR gains more respectful view. I also ordered that small GPS device (hot shoe hat), as I thought it might bring a lot of fun, not only when tagging your work with location and proper time, but also when it comes to shooting skies at night. So, I'm looking forward to read your posts about your experiences with Pentax!

09-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard. That's a killer combo, for sure.

I just bought the GPS unit too, and hope to get somewhere clear soon. The sky in my yard is hazy in the summer nights, but in the winter it's nice and clear if it's cold enough. Of course, that has its own issues!
09-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the K-5iis and the 55 that I'd love to have (next to a f1.2 fifty that is ... ) ... hope to see an image or two soon ... J
09-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums! You definitely have a nose for quality. Enjoy your kit!

09-05-2013, 05:11 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, good to welcome you in from the "Dark Side".
09-22-2013, 03:01 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I just bought the GPS unit too, and hope to get somewhere clear soon. The sky in my yard is hazy in the summer nights, but in the winter it's nice and clear if it's cold enough.
Since Pentax gear is weather resistant, able to work at low temperatures, has astro-tracer, APS-C sensors and quality lenses in offer, I can't actually see any better option for a proper astro photography, to be honest!
09-26-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Dorset astro

Hi, welcome... I have a K-m with a 50mm prime for astro. I am after wide FOV. The camera is mounted on a EQ3-2 mount with home made RA tracking only, I use DSS to help things along for stacking.

Oh! and I live in Charlton Marshall, just down the road.

09-27-2013, 03:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome -- say Hello to my first Daughter and GrandChildren for me -- they live in VERWOOD Dorset !
09-27-2013, 05:27 AM   #9

Hello and welcome to the forum!