Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supportaxian

Photos: Albums
Giving back for the super info on vintage lenses here.

Hello everyone.

I'm a veteran astrophotographer and amateur photographer and got into old Takumars for videography and MF photography. I am super grateful for all the info here on this site and I decided to join so I could write some reviews and add to the serial number DB. Although I'm a firm believer that the photographer behind the lens is much more important than the equipment, and that too much obsessing over gear can take away from the time of actually making photos, I'm happy to spend some time talking equipment in order to help others out.

I enjoy the natural world (macro, life sized, and telescopic) and of course people too. I often avoid flashes and use natural light. I'm fairly skilled with post-processing.

Camera bodies...Canon 60D and 20D
A couple of modern EF lenses
Telescopes: 1016mm F4 Schmidt-Newtonian and 1200mm F8 refractor, a couple of smaller wide fields and a good sized robotic mount
...and the reason I joined...19 (nineteen) M42 Taks. (So it may take a while for me to review each!)

Looking forward to contributing,
jbondo

09-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome jbondo. I look forward to reading your reviews.
09-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the forum, sounds like a "super" Tak collection ... and hope to see an image or two soon ... J
09-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome, and great if you would write some reviews!

Yes, the photographer will always be more important than the gear, and obsessing over equipment is definitely a common sin here. But still, I think more than a few feel more inspired when they know they have good gear in their hands.

And of course, some enjoy collecting more than actually taking pictures

09-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jbondo Quote
grateful for all the info here on this site and I decided to join
Welcome, I'm amazed here too, as to the wealth and depth of knowledge, some of which often flies over my head.
09-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supportaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Welcome, and great if you would write some reviews!

Yes, the photographer will always be more important than the gear, and obsessing over equipment is definitely a common sin here. But still, I think more than a few feel more inspired when they know they have good gear in their hands.

And of course, some enjoy collecting more than actually taking pictures
Well said and true - there is nothing wrong with collecting. Who wouldn't be inspired by a nice gathering of gear. I certainly am! - I just have to keep reminding myself to get out there and shoot!
09-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supportaxian

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! There seems to be a really nice community here. I've found such great info here that I'd like to say 'thank you' by adding to it. For example I have a pair of Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135mm F2.5 that both need the auto/manual switch serviced, and I'm already familiar with the mechanical on these, so it seems like a perfect opportunity to put together a repair tutorial. I don't see any repair guides for this on the site, so I think I'll start with that.
09-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Well said and true - there is nothing wrong with collecting. Who wouldn't be inspired by a nice gathering of gear. I certainly am! - I just have to keep reminding myself to get out there and shoot!
There's another possible solution ... go out and shoot your collected gear ! J

NB : But you can only post your Pentax gear in this forum ...

09-05-2013, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supportaxian

Original Poster
Pentax photos only? Can do! ...and correction - I don't have 19 taks, I have 21. so that makes this a 21-tak salute. I'll take them for an outdoor beauty shot when the weather is good.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 20D  Photo 

Last edited by jbondo; 09-05-2013 at 09:46 AM.
09-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supportaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
There's another possible solution ... go out and shoot your collected gear ! J

NB : But you can only post your Pentax gear in this forum ...
Indeed! Nice, what's the one in center of the back row?
09-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Indeed! Nice, what's the one in center of the back row?
It's a "M 100/4 Macro" fully extended ... it's only a 1:2 "macro" ... J

PS - Forgot the M 135/3.5 in my p0rn shot ...

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 09-05-2013 at 10:05 AM.
09-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Wow! Very, very, very jealous ... no really, that's a great collection ... I only have 3 (for the moment ) J

If you are a fan of Adaptall-2's and Helios, I have a quite a few of them ... plus more Pentax and others ... LBA, damn!

09-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supportaxian

Original Poster
LBA indeed. I'd love to play with some Helios some time, but I'm at my personal 'lens quota' so I'll have to wait until I sell a few. Here's the S-M-C M42 equivalent to your M 100/4 Macro. Like yours, only 1:2 magnification - but extension tubes are plentiful and cheap. - Well at least for M42 they are. How about M-mount? Anyhow, it performs quite well at 1:1 using extensions.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 20D  Photo 
09-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #14
Site Supporter

LBA indeed. ... How about M-mount? ...
It does well with tubes ... I have some "el cheapo" Chinese ones and I de-glassed an old M-mount 2x TC. Honestly, I have mostly used the M 100/4 without tubes since I use a D FA 100/2.8 WR for 1:1 work and it's one of my favorite lenses. I also recently acquired a Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 90/2.5 (52BB), but I do not (yet) have the dedicated 1:1 tube for it ... I have been using at times an AD2 01F 2x TC with it for fun ...

Looking forward to seeing your future images ... Salut, J