Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #1

Hellow everybody

My name is Vassilios. I have 2 Pentax cameras ME Super and ME with a lot of lenses the best of which is a 50 / 1.4. For many years I have not used these cameras and now I want to restart with digital photos but always taking advantage of the SLR camera.
The existence of these lenses is the main reason for choosing the new camera Pentax K30.
I don't know if K mount lenses of these old SLR's fit to the new K30 body. If someone of the members knows he can advise even if I can use them only with limited automatic capabilities.

Thanks in advance for Athens Greece. I will be glad to share photos, ideas and other subjects with everyone of you

09-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, show us amazing Greece, it has some really beautiful light and IMHO scenery beyond belief.
09-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax maintains full backward-compatibility with K-mount lenses. Just look up how to allow manual aperture ring operation, it's in the menu.

If they're A series lenses or later, the camera will support those operations. If it's full manual like M series, then of course they don't become automatic on a new camera.

Most of us have a few manual lenses we're fond of, for color rendition or other special attractions.

Any Pentax DSLR with two wheels is really built for easy manual operation.
09-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the forum, the K-30 and that 50/1.4 (a K or M or A ... ?) ... hope to see an image or two soon ... J

09-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! I think others have answered your questions. So I'll just say enjoy your K-30 and those wonderful vintage lenses!
09-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Considering your cameras are MEs, your lenses should be Pentax-M, right? Great lenses!

This should help, I believe it is valid for the K30 as well: Using Older Lenses with PENTAX DSLRs | Ricoh Imaging Support
09-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Pentax maintains full backward-compatibility with K-mount lenses. Just look up how to allow manual aperture ring operation, it's in the menu.
Thanks as lot.

If they're A series lenses or later, the camera will support those operations. If it's full manual like M series, then of course they don't become automatic on a new camera.

Most of us have a few manual lenses we're fond of, for color rendition or other special attractions.

Any Pentax DSLR with two wheels is really built for easy manual operation.
A series means original? Sorry for poor English..

09-07-2013, 01:11 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Welcome aboard! I think others have answered your questions. So I'll just say enjoy your K-30 and those wonderful vintage lenses!
Thanks. I will try and the results will uploaded in the forum. I hope you enjoy.
09-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you. I hope to share soon the expected good results through using the K30.
You will I'm mad to try using old lenses with such a modern device.
But as we say in Greece sometimes old chicken tastes better..
09-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vpapad Quote
A series means original? Sorry for poor English..
The K-mount lenses evolved over time.

K and M are fully manual.
A are auto-aperture (the camera controls the aperture instead of using the manual ring)
F are Auto aperture and auto focus.
FA are a later automatic series, with some very nice lenses.
DA are built for use on digital bodies, with the smaller focus screen and sensor.

So if you have an M50mm you'll need to control everything manually. If you have an A50mm the your camera will control everything except focus.