Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #1

Hey there! New to this :-)

Hi, my name is Alysson! I took photography in high school about 7 years ago. I haven't really done much since then other than use my digital camera. Well, my mom just got me a very nice Pentax K1000 camera for free at a thrift shop!!!!!!!! It's in amazing shape. I just want to learn more about it if anyone can tell me anything about it that would be awesome!! Thanks :-)

09-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Forum. The K1000 was a great camera and it still is for anyone who wants to shoot film. There are a few articles specifically on the K1000. If the links don't work, you can get them if you enter K1000 in the Forum search box:
Pentax K1000: Biggest Impact on my Photography
Mastering Exposure using the Pentax K1000
By the Light of a Cement Wall
A Soft Spot for Pentax Cameras
The Iconic Pentax K1000

Of course, now that you are here you will probably get bitten by the bug and start wandering deeper into Pentax-land. The best thing about Pentax SLRs and DSLRs is that any older Pentax lens can be used on the latest digital SLR. That K1000 of your probably has a nice Pentax lens on it - a Pentax 50mm 1.7 or something similar perhaps? It would be a nice lens to use on a digital if you move on to a Pentax digital body later, so your bargain (free!) camera could be a great start in photography.

Roam around the Forum, ask questions and post pics when you have them. We all here because we like photography and Pentax cameras. You will find there are some very knowledgeable people here (a lot more knowledgeable than I am!). Have fun!
09-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... do not be shy on this forum, ask away on your questions ... also my K1000 has a roll in it right now ... hope to see an image or two soon ... J
09-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

There's no better way to master the basics than a manual film camera. Have fun!

09-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome! There are plenty of resources about the K1000 online and plenty of lenses that you can use on it
Good luck with it!
09-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by apw9288 Quote
Hey there! New to this :-)
Welcome to the forum, remember we were all there where you stand, at some point in the beginnings of our photography.