Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #1

K100 Super Owner...waiting

Hello Pentaxians:

Long time lurker, first time registrant. K100 Super user since 2008. Don't take TOO many pictures so I haven't had the need to upgrade just yet. Kind of waiting for the next great thing from Pentax now that my kids are getting a little older and I may start taking some toddler shots and 'kids sports' shots. What am I looking for? Basically, a 20mp K5ii with articulating screen. That's it. I know I'll never need a FF, and weather sealing is less important to me (being in California) than the articulated screen. I like the top LCD of the K5ii (over say, the K30), but don't need the 'no AA filter' of the K5iis.

Why Pentax?
-Budget in large part. Their bodies are just less expensive, and I can shoot older lenses.
-Image Quality. Everything I've seen shows the best Pentax APS-C is better than anyone elses.
-100% viewfinder
-Don't like Nikon's menus.
That's it, that's the list. (TK reference anyone?)

Anyway happy to be here. I'll probably remain a lurker more than an active poster but hope I can jump in from time to time and get some questions answered, which is much more likely than actually answering anyone else's questions.

09-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums. Glad you joined us
09-07-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy your K100 Super; I still use my K110D ... hope to see an image or two soon ... J
09-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm sceptical that a hinged LCD will ever be offered on a Pentax DLSR. If they were going to do so, why wouldn't they have done it on the K-50/K-500? They do have the technology, as shown by the MX-1.

The K-500 is miles ahead of your trusty old K100DS, in every conceivable way. I'm not sure you'll gain much by waiting.

09-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'm sceptical that a hinged LCD will ever be offered on a Pentax DLSR. If they were going to do so, why wouldn't they have done it on the K-50/K-500? They do have the technology, as shown by the MX-1.

The K-500 is miles ahead of your trusty old K100DS, in every conceivable way. I'm not sure you'll gain much by waiting.
Dan, that's a good point. If Pentax was going to do an articulated screen, the k500 would have been the place, because it is not weather sealed, and it would have been a new feature that would have differentiated the otherwise unremarkable update of the K30.

Would I gain more by upgrading my k100 to a k30/50/500 now, or upgrading the old kit lens to a tamron 18-50 2.8 and holding out another year or so for the body?
09-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by astraeus19 Quote
Would I gain more by upgrading my k100 to a k30/50/500 now, or upgrading the old kit lens to a tamron 18-50 2.8 and holding out another year or so for the body?
It depends on your style of shooting, what you want to do with the images, and what other lenses you have. For me the upgraded body it would be an easy choice, adding more value than a lens upgrade.

I like to shoot birds and wildlife. I felt limited by the glacial performance of the K100DS, slow shot to shot times and I was frustrated that I couldn't crop 6mp photos. A body with dual wheels and more buttons gave me the speed I needed in the field, the larger pentaprism OVF let me see my target more clearly and check focus more accurately. With a sharp lens, I can crop in hard and still have enough pixels for printing.

A K-30/500/50 has much higher resolution, allowing sharper and larger photos. There's no doubt that a kit lens on a 16mp body will out-resolve a Sigma 18-50 2.8 on a 6mp body, because a 6mp sensor will not reach the limits of either lens. The much improved noise performance means you can keep shutter speeds up, even with smaller apertures. Auto-focus and tracking have improved a great deal since 2007, especially in dim lighting. The body is more responsive, which encourages you to take control, and lets you capture photos you would otherwise miss or compromise on. The larger sized, 100% coverage pentaprism is so much nicer than a dark little pentamirror, especially for manual focus. A K-500 allows ISO 100 for slower shutter speeds and dynamic range is improved by several stops. Current bodies have much improved menu navigation and many more features that you may benefit from (e.g. AF Adjust, pixel mapping, interval shooting, HDR, multiple exposures, etc). Video is not something I'm interested in, but highly valued by many.

As I said, for me this would be an easy choice. For someone who shoots in green mode, and only posts on the net, the reasons above would be marginal. You want to photograph active kids, I can say from experience it will be a lot easier with a newer body than your current body and upgraded lens. So very many times I lined up the shot with the K100DS, and the camera couldn't find focus and wouldn't fire. And that was with primes that are faster than the SIgma zoom you're contemplating. From the brief description of your wants, I believe that AF would be the most important reason to upgrade the body.

If you are willing to spend a lot more than the mid-level price, many of us expect the flagship APS-C before Christmas. That's what I'm waiting for, especially for my birding, but I'm not sure you would benefit from the added features. You would probably be better off with a mid-level body and upgraded lenses for the same outlay.
09-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
It depends on your style of shooting, what you want to do with the images, and what other lenses you have. For me the upgraded body it would be an easy choice, adding more value than a lens upgrade.

I like to shoot birds and wildlife. I felt limited by the glacial performance of the K100DS, slow shot to shot times and I was frustrated that I couldn't crop 6mp photos. A body with dual wheels and more buttons gave me the speed I needed in the field, the larger pentaprism OVF let me see my target more clearly and check focus more accurately. With a sharp lens, I can crop in hard and still have enough pixels for printing.

A K-30/500/50 has much higher resolution, allowing sharper and larger photos. There's no doubt that a kit lens on a 16mp body will out-resolve a Sigma 18-50 2.8 on a 6mp body, because a 6mp sensor will not reach the limits of either lens. The much improved noise performance means you can keep shutter speeds up, even with smaller apertures. Auto-focus and tracking have improved a great deal since 2007, especially in dim lighting. The body is more responsive, which encourages you to take control, and lets you capture photos you would otherwise miss or compromise on. The larger sized, 100% coverage pentaprism is so much nicer than a dark little pentamirror, especially for manual focus. A K-500 allows ISO 100 for slower shutter speeds and dynamic range is improved by several stops. Current bodies have much improved menu navigation and many more features that you may benefit from (e.g. AF Adjust, pixel mapping, interval shooting, HDR, multiple exposures, etc). Video is not something I'm interested in, but highly valued by many.

As I said, for me this would be an easy choice. For someone who shoots in green mode, and only posts on the net, the reasons above would be marginal. You want to photograph active kids, I can say from experience it will be a lot easier with a newer body than your current body and upgraded lens. So very many times I lined up the shot with the K100DS, and the camera couldn't find focus and wouldn't fire. And that was with primes that are faster than the SIgma zoom you're contemplating. From the brief description of your wants, I believe that AF would be the most important reason to upgrade the body.

If you are willing to spend a lot more than the mid-level price, many of us expect the flagship APS-C before Christmas. That's what I'm waiting for, especially for my birding, but I'm not sure you would benefit from the added features. You would probably be better off with a mid-level body and upgraded lenses for the same outlay.
Yeah I could see how for birds and wildlife those considerations would be paramount. I mostly shoot people at events (birthday parties, weddings, kids playing) both outdoors and indoors. The biggest improvement for my purposes I would anticipate as faster AF and MUCH improved ISO. Mine starts getting pretty ugly at 1600 even.
I just keep hoping (against hope?) that the articulated screen will be introduced. I'll buy a new body within 1 year, regardless if they add the screen or not.
09-12-2013, 02:16 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by astraeus19 Quote
weather sealing is less important to me (being in California)
Welcome to the forum, that's a low blow, you wanna try living here.