Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #1

Coming home to Pentax

In BD (Before Digital), I owned and used a K1000, Pentax 645 and 6X7. Loved the cameras and the lenses. In AD (After Digital), I migrated to Canon, Nikon and recently, Sony. I visited NYC in July and went to my favorite toy store, B+H photo. I wandered around the various camera displays and held a number of cameras. At the Pentax display, I picked up the K30 and it was love at first sight (several days later I tried the the K50 at another store, but it just did not have the feel in my hands of the K30).

Tomorrow, I should receive the K30 with the kit 18-55. I also will receive a used Sigma 10-20 (I needed a WA right away because I have a shoot coming up that requires WA-exterior and interior of vacation rental property).

I am open to lens advise. I am retired from my day job and have a limited budget. I plan on replacing the kit lens with the Pentax 17-70 (or the new Sigma 17-70 contemporary), the Pentax 55-300 for the occasional telephotos at the local zoo and the 35mm f2.4 for low light and to have at least one prime. I do not use a flash to often but would like a flash that is P-TTL, bounce and adjustable power that does not break the bank.

Recommendations would certainly be appreciated regarding flash and lenses.

09-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #2

what about all that analog gear, all gone? my budget steers me toward legacy lenses; all the lenses you loved back when will still work fine on the K-30.
09-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome back to Pentax and PF. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your K-30 as I do mine. I second using older glass , as most of mine is just that .
09-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's great when something "fits" like that. Welcome back.

09-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mendy Quote
In BD (Before Digital), I owned and used a K1000, Pentax 645 and 6X7. Loved the cameras and the lenses. In AD (After Digital), I migrated to Canon, Nikon and recently, Sony. I visited NYC in July and went to my favorite toy store, B+H photo. I wandered around the various camera displays and held a number of cameras. At the Pentax display, I picked up the K30 and it was love at first sight (several days later I tried the the K50 at another store, but it just did not have the feel in my hands of the K30).

Tomorrow, I should receive the K30 with the kit 18-55. I also will receive a used Sigma 10-20 (I needed a WA right away because I have a shoot coming up that requires WA-exterior and interior of vacation rental property).

I am open to lens advise. I am retired from my day job and have a limited budget. I plan on replacing the kit lens with the Pentax 17-70 (or the new Sigma 17-70 contemporary), the Pentax 55-300 for the occasional telephotos at the local zoo and the 35mm f2.4 for low light and to have at least one prime. I do not use a flash to often but would like a flash that is P-TTL, bounce and adjustable power that does not break the bank.

Recommendations would certainly be appreciated regarding flash and lenses.
Hello Mendy, welcome back to the Pentax ways. But you made a very big mistake in choosing the K-30 over the k-5 / II / IIs. The K-5 is miles ahead of the K-30, even better than the Canon Full frame 5D Mark II - see DxO mark.
And had you looked around you would have got the K-5 with the 18-135 WR Lens cheaper than the K-30 with the mediocre 18-55 Kit lens.
I wish you had posted on this forum before buying the K-30.
Good choice for the Sigma 10-20. Terrific SWA lens. I have one too.
Now buy the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 or the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Do a thorough research to decide which focal length range will suit you best. You need a fast low light lens for Pro work, and these are the best in the world - brutally sharp too.
Sorry for the Free advise but trust me. I have been handling the best gear since age 8, am a Master Mechanic, a DIY, a reasonably good amateur photographer (hope so) and a retired Advisor world's largest conglomerate.
If you are rich buy the Pentax flash. If not buy the costliest Chinese Yongnuo PTTL flash at 1 /4 Pentax's price. They are as good.
Good Luck.
09-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Welcome (back) to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the K-30 and hope to see an image or two soon ... J

PS - Suggestion : the DA 50/1.8 is on sale at B&H and Adorama for like $182 (w/FS) ... I live in France, but I am about to buy one and have sent to a family member that can re-mail it to me ... this is a big bargain as opposed to the current list price in France ... J

Lenses | B&H Photo Video
09-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks to all for advise.

Regarding Nanhi's comments, I do appreciate the advise. I have no doubt that the K5 and K5II are better cameras with more features then the K30, but the K30 fits like a glove. I know from experience that you are more likely to use a camera that feels good (like a comfortable pair of shoes) then a camera you do not enjoy using. Fit is very subjective and I just found that the K30 was the most comfortable camera I had ever handled.

After doing a great deal of research, I decided to stay away from the 18-135. I know it is a great walk around lens, but I wanted something that was a bit sharper with better IQ. I did narrow down the list to several lenses including the Tamrons you mentioned, the new Sigma 17-70 contemporary, Pentax 16-45 and the Pentax 17-70. I found several Pentax 17-70 f4's at very good prices. No lense is perfect and all have their strong points and weak points. I am not entirely committed to the lens choice, but it seems that dollar for dollar, it may be the best choice. Also, I wanted slightly more reach then 50mm on the far end.

I will probably buy a few primes. At this point I am awaiting delivery of the camera with kit lens and the Sigma 10-20 (tomorrow-9/9) and will put them through their paces. After that, I will start serious shopping for more lenses.
09-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #8

Personally my favorite lens line up so far for budget (the ones i had the chance to use) include :

10-20 sigma (i love the 12-24pentax way better, altho the cost was too much for me)
18-35 sigma would be an awesome second lens if budget would work its not out yet tho, the 16-45 F4 DA is also a solid performer for the price range.
28-75 from Tamron FANTASTIC IQ very sharp and good colors, especially on APSC
55-300DA (great great lens!)

for Macro i have the 90mm TAMRON its great too.
I currently have the 18-135lens for weather sealing/walk around but it does not get much use.

prime M50 1.7 is a fantastic lens

09-12-2013, 02:34 AM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ms.Information Quote
steers me toward legacy lenses
Welcome, there's a world full of great glass out there, at very reasonable prices, you just have to look around a bit.
« Hello there | Howdy »