Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #1

Howdy

Canadian expat living in Taiwan here. Currently saving up to buy either a K-5 or K-5II, just trying to decide if the better autofocus and better LCD screen make the K-5II worth it or if I should spend the extra on lenses for the K-5. I'm leaning towards the K-5 + glass option, but if anyone wants to dissuade me I'll listen.

Skills-wise I'm pretty good with film SLR's but I've never owned a DSLR. Looking forward to learning the ropes.

09-09-2013, 01:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Tough choice. I'd get the K-5II but only dislike my K-5's low light focus.
09-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard!

I suppose I just don't shoot much in the dark, but I have never found the K-5 to limit me. OTOH I have never tried the II, and at least some claim they notice an overall better focus performance.

As for better screen, it's plenty good enough for my use on the K-5. But I don't use it much other than to check histograms and focus now and then. No automatic review for me - I can't stand having the screen light up every time I take a picture.

So if I had to choose between K-5 + glass and K-5II, I would definitely go for the K-5. But of course the right answer is the K-5II + glass
09-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... not an easy choice and I cannot help since I have only had experience with my K-5 ... but, it's really hard to go wrong with good glass ... either way you go, please do not forget to post us an image or two soon ... J

09-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
Mais certainement Monsieur Poities. The moment I get that machine in my hot little fists I'm gonna start wearing out the shutter.

MarkJerling: Are the K5's problems with low-light focus really that significant? Most of the reviews I can find, dpreview, what digital camera, photographyblog, don't make a lot of mention of issues with low-light autofocusing, although the KII reviews do tend to mention it was a problem with the K5.
Is it something that shows up the more you use it?
09-11-2013, 03:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stirling Quote
Mais certainement Monsieur Poities. The moment I get that machine in my hot little fists I'm gonna start wearing out the shutter.

MarkJerling: Are the K5's problems with low-light focus really that significant? Most of the reviews I can find, dpreview, what digital camera, photographyblog, don't make a lot of mention of issues with low-light autofocusing, although the KII reviews do tend to mention it was a problem with the K5.
Is it something that shows up the more you use it?
In my experience, low-light focus is poor from the get go. I've found it hard to get accurate focus at fashion (runway) shoots, also many indoor events in poor light. First spotted the problem in a Kiwi enclosure where the camera simply would not focus. However, let me just say that in every other situation, I think the K-5 is as good a camera as the K-5II.
09-12-2013, 01:48 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stirling Quote
K-5II worth it or if I should spend the extra on lenses
Welcome to the forum, don't mess about here, get both.
09-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Well I have both, and since getting the K-5 IIs I *only* use my old-school K-5 when I need two bodies for event work.

The newer body has much more reliable AF in low light, has required no AF micro-adjustment at all, and has demonstrably better resolution. The improved LCD screen is a non-issue for me.

If Pentax's long-awaited and soon-to-be announced (????) top-tier APS-C DSLR is a winner I would replace my old K-5 in a heart beat, but the IIs is a keeper for the foreseeable future.

09-12-2013, 03:46 AM   #9

Original Poster
I'm looking for as versatile a dslr as possible as it will be a long, long time before I can add another to my kit, so the K-5II is sounding better and better.

Is the lack of an anti-aliasing filter really that desirable? Considering I'm not an expert or professional would I be better served by going with the II over the IIs?

Last edited by Stirling; 09-12-2013 at 03:55 AM.
09-12-2013, 04:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Get the II unless you really understand moire and how to avoid/remove it if it's critical.