Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Forum Member

I'm interested in Pentax

Hi. My name's Peter. Currently I shoot with a canon DSLR (5D). Recently on my quest to update my gear I began looking into medium format film and digital. I think i'd jive real well with a 645D but I just KNOW Canon will come out with a high megapixel camera in the near future. Is it worth the premium (even on the used market it's more costly than a D800E). Been snooping around here and I've read the comparisons and reviews.

For the longest time I wanted a hasselblad 6x6 film camera. Recent research tells me that the medium format pentax comes in at a bit more affordable price. I'm headed out to the smoky mountains next week and would like to take some awesome gear with me. Either thinking of renting a 645D, purchasing a pentax 67 or 645 film, a hasselblad 38mm SWC, a panoramic head do multi-row stitched images, or renting a 6D and a few lenses. I'm torn but I made an account to hopefully help me answer that questions. If I choose Pentax I'm sure you'll see me around here a lot more..

Thanks,
Peter

09-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pete_the_Irish_Guy Quote
Hi. My name's Peter. Currently I shoot with a canon DSLR (5D). Recently on my quest to update my gear I began looking into medium format film and digital. I think i'd jive real well with a 645D but I just KNOW Canon will come out with a high megapixel camera in the near future. Is it worth the premium (even on the used market it's more costly than a D800E). Been snooping around here and I've read the comparisons and reviews.

For the longest time I wanted a hasselblad 6x6 film camera. Recent research tells me that the medium format pentax comes in at a bit more affordable price. I'm headed out to the smoky mountains next week and would like to take some awesome gear with me. Either thinking of renting a 645D, purchasing a pentax 67 or 645 film, a hasselblad 38mm SWC, a panoramic head do multi-row stitched images, or renting a 6D and a few lenses. I'm torn but I made an account to hopefully help me answer that questions. If I choose Pentax I'm sure you'll see me around here a lot more..

Thanks,
Peter
We have a comparative review here that you might be interested in:
Nikon D800E vs. Pentax 645D - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

As far as image quality goes, the advantage of the 645D is small, and really only present at low ISOs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Many people here who have the 645D report that it is the look and color the CCD sensor renders as the key feature they like. So it's not so much about high ISO and fast focusing with this kind of camera.

As for medium format film cameras, I own both a 500C/M and Pentax 6x7 and still shoot them today. Each has their strong points and I think you'd find it hard for one MF film camera to be the best at all things. Which one I use depends on a lot of factors such as the lenses I have for each, what I'm going to shoot, if I want to shoot different films at the same time and so on. Best of luck on your choice.
09-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the forum and hope to see a Pentax image in the future ... J

09-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just purchased a 67 from a fellow forum member... not sure how I'll deal with no instant gratification of the digital darkroom.
09-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Speaking for myself, I know before I get home and develop my film if I have a good shot or not. Sure there are a few times when some are not as good or better than I expected. But with experience, you learn to mentally preview the image after you learn what your gear can do.

Also, meters like a one-degree spot meter are like a histogram in digital and arguably better because they are not a unit-less graph. They tell you how many stops of light are in a scene and where the values of things in the scene will fall relative to your selected middle gray exposure. And once you learn the range of light you can capture ( and how to capture more), you can place your shadows and/or highlights to come out at pretty predicable values - close enough anyway - without getting into measuring negative densities with a densitometer.

Last edited by tuco; 09-11-2013 at 09:39 AM.
09-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I agree with Tuco in that I believe I "know" what I have captured with film before I leave the scene as well. But I think that came from years of experience in the film days. The SWC or SWC/M are quite a specialty camera in that you can only shoot wide but the backs are interchangeable with any of the V system Hasselblads. I love the Hasselblad 500 C/M. The Hasselblad is more suited to me and my style than the Pentax 67 is but you should get lots of enjoyment from your new camera. Best of luck
09-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your photography with which ever camera kit you choose.

09-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum Pete!

I would definitely suggest a film Pentax,personally i would suggest the 67 since I like to shoot more landscape, and well... if your going to shoot film I like to go large and have more negative to scan.However the 645 is very hand holdable if you like to do more street photography. So I guess it really depends on what you want to shoot. Look at reviews for the different 645 and 67 models so you know what the quirks are between models (mirrior lock up, shutter vibration, film flatness). All are great and will probably feel like a large SLR to you more than the Hassy ever would.

In regards to the 645D, I suggest you try film first. How big are you planning to print? Medium format negatives can be scanned and printed quite large. The same goes for digital, how invested in Canon gear are you? Going to a 6D or 5Dmk2 would be great value for your money.

Sure each generation gets better dynamic range, better low light sensitivity, more fps, higher megapixels, etc... But what do you need? Spend the money on good glass, megapixels are not everything after you can print a few feet wide (20mp is plenty).
09-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have some decent glass. A couple zeiss lenses and the 135L. I ended up purchasing a pentax 67 with a 100mm f4 lens. Can't find much info about it online but I'm excited to see what will come of it. I purchased 11 rolls of film at my local camera shop, a wide variety of different types. I'm headed out to the Smoky Mountains on Tuesday and while I think the 55mm would have been a better choice I'll just have to get creative with the 100mm.
09-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

An odd first-choice lens for someone into landscapes. Shutter speeds at and below 1/60 it is a good idea to push down on the camera while on a tripod with your hand to minimize that curtain shake.
09-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I understand it's close to a 55mm in "full frame" 135 format. I've gotten some good landscape keepers with my ZE 50/1.4, and don't think landscapes need to be wide. but yeah I agree with you the 55mm would be a better choice. Unfortunately time is running short and I'm not certain how much I want to invest in a system before ever even using it. There will be traveling in the future and if I enjoy shooting film i'm certain the 55mm will be in the cards.

Plus I have my 5D if I need to go wider -though my widest there is only a 35.
09-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Sure, you can get landscapes with it especially those where you don't have that really close near to far DOF thing going on unless you focus stack. But bear in mind this a 100mm (look at the DOF scale on it) and not a 50mm which gets more DOF for the same aperture and focus distance. In other words, though 100mm is about equivalent in FOV with a 50mm in a smaller format it is not equivalent in DOF.

Last edited by tuco; 09-13-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Spelling
09-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Sure, you can get landscapes with it especially those where you don't have that really close near to far DOF thing going on unless you focus stack. But bear in mind this a 100mm (look at the DOF scale on it) and not a 50mm which gets more DOF for the same aperture and focus distance. In other words, though 100mm is about equivalent in FOV with a 50mm in a smaller format it is not equivalent in DOF.
It's gonna be fun learning to shoot medium format. Thanks for the pointer!
09-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Pete_the_Irish_Guy Quote
I understand it's close to a 55mm in "full frame" 135 format. I've gotten some good landscape keepers with my ZE 50/1.4, and don't think landscapes need to be wide. but yeah I agree with you the 55mm would be a better choice. Unfortunately time is running short and I'm not certain how much I want to invest in a system before ever even using it. There will be traveling in the future and if I enjoy shooting film i'm certain the 55mm will be in the cards.

Plus I have my 5D if I need to go wider -though my widest there is only a 35.
Never picked up the 17-40L for your canon huh? That was my first canon lens actually.

Good luck with the 67 man, I'm sure you'll love it. The macro was definitely an interesting choice, but should be fun. I'm sure we will see a 45mm or 55mm in your future.
« Hello All | Hellooo »