Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't feel that old, but ...

I started my photography hobby/bad habit with a Braun 35mm rangefinder camera that my mother gave my father as a Christmas present in the fifties. I bought my own P3N after I finished college, which was stolen about 15 years later, which I soon replaced with a used Super Program. I thought I would stick with E6 slide film until Kodak and Fujii quit producing it or I was dead, whichever came first. My wife gave me a K30 for my birthday just over a year ago, and while I am fascinated with digital photography, I still pooch too many shots because I'm overwhelmed with all of the settings.

I never wanted a point and shot camera, but I also need to know instinctively what the camera will do, and the learning curve for a full-featured DSLR is a lot steeper than I thought it would be. Other on the other hand, I have a new appreciation for the SMC A 70-210 zoom I still own (and frequently use), and pity people who don't know what a great camera Pentax builds.

09-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums. It is a learning curve that practice will help you sharpen your skills in.
09-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! Counting the years is never a good move But yeah, a DSLR is a complicated machine. Still, it's not necessary to mess with every setting. Concentrate on the basics - nail focus and exposure. Go all manual if the camera doesn't do what you want it to. That's the good thing with having lived for a while; you're not dependent on the camera telling you what to do.
09-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's the beauty of going digital, you can "pooch" a shot and it won't cost you to find out. Also you know instantly which means a chance to grab a good one in the same event. An added plus is you can post process a not so good shot into something really cool. Most importantly have fun and listen to the experts hereof which I am not.
Welcome,
Joel

09-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... keep enjoying that K-30 and hope to see an image or two soon ... J
09-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What does "pooch" mean here?
All search turned up was dog photos
09-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #7

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
What does "pooch" mean here?
All search turned up was dog photos
From what I could dig up it's a shortened version of "Screw the Pooch." More info from here: screw the pooch - Wiktionary

Having said that I am quite happy to be corrected .

09-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Oh....
I do photos like that all the time.
09-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
it's a shortened version of "Screw the Pooch."
That's what I meant, I take a lot of pictures when I travel, and I have enough time to frame the shot only once, and the 3" display on the back is good to tell if the camera is working, but not if the intended subject is out of focus. In bright outdoor light, the display isn't a real good guide to tell if the important parts are properly exposed either. I've started to experiment with the automatic bracketing, and the autofocus system is flexible enough that eventually I'll get that figured out as well.
09-14-2013, 03:23 AM   #10

Hi!

Acctualy the K30 live view will highlight the sharp edges for you. There are a lot of features in this camer that you will discover and find very very helpfull - the manual is quite clear on what you can find and how to use in the K30. Enjoy!
09-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome, there's quite a few of us in here who've been at this photography lark for a while now, so your in good company.