Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2013, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Excited with the Pentax magic

Hello everybody!
The time I was first excited with photography were my University years in Commie Poland, early 1980's. Due to limited photographic supplies and little choices of the time, I was taking pictures mostly with a domestic made Start 66S 120-film TLR, with Zenith and Praktica SLR cameras. Yes, I had a darkroom. When Poland joined the free world community, it was, well, too late for me. My disappointment with increasing share of electronics in the cameras reduced my activities to just some casual photography. In 2004 I bought me my first digital camera, a Konica-Minolta and it made me completely stop. I just could not grab the intricacies of the digital photography even if I was trying really hard.

Suddenly, in early 2011 I found a K-5 in a store. "ISO51200?!" Well, low-light photography has always been my main goal. The salesman talked a lot about how water-proof the K-5 was, so, excited, I bought the camera. Then I instantly grabbed how fantastic camera it was, how powerful capabilities it could give me, not only in the low-light situations. I learned how to develop RAW in a few days, then it took me a year to practice and re-develop the skill. Later, I expanded my base with fast lenses, tripod etc. and now I feel I'm completely back in the saddle.

Yes, I had other cameras in my hands to compare. None of them could offer the same as the K-5. What really buys me is the Pentaxian style of lightweight camera and lenses. Now, I can carry the camera wherever I like, is it a concert or a bicycle tour or a long walk without effort. The flexibility of K-5 is just amazing. My favourite subjects are people, concerts, nature and trekking photography.

Now -- thanks to PentaxForums I used to read as a non-member -- I went back into the film camera world. I got me a nice K2 and am so glad two of my lenses fit perfectly the film camera body; the range of 28-135mm is covered and I do not need much more except perhaps something in 200 or 300mm range. I need to point out it was PentaxForums that streamlined my choices of lenses -- I really thank you for the information I could find here.

Mikes

09-14-2013, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard, and thanks for the great introduction! I too find the combination of small size and good quality to be the greatest asset of Pentax cameras and lenses. Makes it perfect for hiking and travelling IMO.
09-14-2013, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome, Stefan. Looking forward to seeing your work.
09-14-2013, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the K-5 and please post us an image or two soon ... J

09-14-2013, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #5
Yos
Veteran Member

Great intro Mikes, and a warm welcome to the forum!
Hope to see an image or two in the future
09-14-2013, 03:54 PM - 4 Likes   #6

Original Poster
Not sure posting how many pictures makes sense here ;-)

From a bicycle trekking trip, DA 14/2.8 on K-5.

Oslo, Norway. Asahi SMC-K 135/2.5 on K-5.

A castle in Polish Jura. DA14/2.8 on K-5.

An unguarded beach on the Vistula River, Warsaw, Poland. Asahi SMC-K 135/2.5 on K-5.

In the Warsaw Old Town. Asahi SMC-K 135/2.5 on K-5.

The gold of Cuyavia, Poland. DA14/2.8 on K-5.

At a rock festival. DA14/2.8 on K-5.

Low-light photo. DA14/2.8 on K-5.

At a reggae concert. Tam 28-75/2.8.

At a punk-rock club. DA14/2.8.

What about chanterelles in France, Jean Poitiers? ;-) Can you get them easily?
Tam 28-75/2.8
09-14-2013, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! Great images. You will fit in well here.

09-14-2013, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice landscapes and candids. Love the colors.
09-14-2013, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great images - esp. like those magical landscapes with the DA14! Welcome to the forums.
09-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you a lot! Now, the challenge comes, and it will be the K2 and film photography. I bought the camera driven by the Forum reviews here. My first nice surprise was how easy it was to start shooting with the film camera, and how accurate the exposure measurement was. Honestly, just to set the aperture, focus, compose, shoot. Cannot wait to see what will come from the first rolls
;-)
09-14-2013, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great story, great pics!!
09-14-2013, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #12

Welcome! You certainly have a good eye for photography.

...and that chanterelles meal looks delicious!
09-15-2013, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #13
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done, Stefan! I see you visited the royal castle in Oslo, too, with the dome of the National Theatre in the background
09-15-2013, 06:32 AM - 2 Likes   #14

Original Poster
Sure I did savoche Oslo is full of interesting architecture and as I think it had been photographed millions of times, it is not so easy to find some interesting subject.
Interestingly, Norway is photographically "bluish". The blue is so intensive any color correction easily damages the photo.

The ski-jump tower in Holmenkollen taken in the summertime with a telephoto lens.

Mortensrud as seen over the valley from Nordstrand in Oslo.

Picture postcard from Oslo Centrum. I think everybody must take pictures of that building

7 a.m on 8th of March 2012 at Oslo Gardermoen Airport.

Taken from an airplane with the manual telephoto lens.
09-15-2013, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #15
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I think more people take pictures of the Opera house than from it But the old harbour storage house is difficult not to notice.

I really like the detail from the ski jump. I haven't been up there after they built the new one. Maybe I should