Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hello From Lowder, Illinois (Central Ill)

Hello Everyone,

Actually signed up 2 weeks ago. I wanted to make the move up to a digital Pentax and was looking for info on what would be the thing to get. (Well, in all honesty, I was looking to find out enough info to justify getting a K20D, cause that's what I really wanted and had already made up my mind to get.)

Started with a Pentax ME in 1980 and the 50mm 1.4 that came with it. Had seen some pictures taken in a magazine using a Pentax and knew that's what I wanted. Loved that camera! About 1990 the electronics finally quit and was told parts were not available. Waited a some years then bought a ZX-M. Liked the feel of the ME better. Looked at the *ist a few years ago, but limited by $$ got a used Sony DSC F717 5MP for my first digital instead. Got some great shots with it. Bought a used flash off ebay for the ZX and the guy threw in an old Program Plus body he didn't want. Reminded me of my old ME. Used it more than I did the ZX-M.

My wife, Colleen, and I are beekeepers with about 30 hives at the present time. Our bees are the driving force behind my desire to have the K20D. Was hoping to get something with high enough quality to be able to crop. (Posted a couple of cropped shots in the user gallery less than a week ago.) Have been entering photos for our association at the state fair the last 4 years taken with the Pentax. Earned 2 firsts, 1 second, and third. Over the last couple of years I got a used bellows and a Takumar Super Macro 100mm f4 that I use for my macro shots . Don't have any real high quality glass, yet. Have also shot some videos with our Panasonic GS250 that I dearly love using. It's not that I like video over photo, or vice versa. Sometimes a still photo isn't enough when you working with the tremendous activity in a hive full of bees. Then again, sometimes a photo is the only thing that can capture some of the outstanding detail of the bees and what they are about. (Warning: Don't be surprised if a great number of pics posted here are of bees.)

I see a member from Springfield, about 25 miles, and some from the Alton area, about 80 miles from me. I drive a tanker hauling propane and gas, so get into the terminals in the Alton, Wood River area several times a week. Have very much appreciated the info on this forum. The K20D is a big step up from the cameras I have, so I'm going to need all the advice I can get, directly or indirectly. So far, love the feel and the promise of what I should be able to do with it. Post processing is going to be a big step. Am considering Elements 6, cause still having trouble getting used to that Pentax software. Guess it will all come with time.

Well, enough background (maybe too much). Not sure if I can post links from here, so hope it's OK to say if you'd like to see some of my pics and videos you can Google "acbees" or search for the same on Photobucket. Thanks again.

Arvin

03-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

welcome to the forum!

I started with an MX about the same time as you did with your ME
03-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum from someone in Troy, IL....
03-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow, had to look up Lowder even though I have spent nearly my entire life from N.Ill to S.Ill (grew up near Champaign). Welcome to the forums.

03-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
St. Louis here too, howdy neighbor !! Also have relatives in central Il, Monticello, and Cisco.