Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #1

Got myself an MX-1...

... and I really like it! My name is Hessel and I usually just shoot film ranging from 35mm to 4x5", but living in the Netherlands where developing is just extremely expensive I wanted a nice P&S camera while not necisarily giving up control. Thus the MX-1 came to mind! I love the design and feel of the camera, it sits quite well between my fieldcamera and TLR

09-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy it when you get it.
09-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
hfp

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, enjoy it when you get it.
Thanks! I've been enjoying it for a bit more than a week now, while it has some quirks overall I'm super pleased! Just takes a little getting used to the layout of the camera (I personally would have switched a few buttons). Maybe I should do a impressions/review topic with some image samples later.
09-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
welcome! are you shotting rAW with the mx-1? ho do you like the speed if so?

09-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
hfp

Original Poster
No, jpeg only which is what I intend to keep using. I might try RAW somewhere down the line, but RAW shooting is not the initial purpose nor the shooting style I bought this compact for.
09-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... enjoy the forum and please post us an image or two soon ... J
09-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
Yos
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found your way here
How is the battery life on your Mx-1?
Cheers
Yos
09-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #8
hfp

Original Poster
Thanks Jean and Yos! I'll upload some photographs soon and post them in the compacts forum. Batterylife is quite good on me, I shoot quite casually and haven't had a heavy-use-day, but I'm this compact would last a day's worth of snapping just fine. Not sure if the same holds up for shooting video's though, considering it's constant image-stabilisation and video being a more battery-hungry application by itself.

09-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice, I like this trend toward retro-looking compact cameras. There's no reason they can't be stylish and modern. And it's not a hipster thing - some of the older cameras just looked great.
09-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
hfp

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Very nice, I like this trend toward retro-looking compact cameras. There's no reason they can't be stylish and modern. And it's not a hipster thing - some of the older cameras just looked great.
Definitely, I'm used to working with old cameras that have a lot of soul. Whether it's my Graflex Crown Graphic or a more industrial looking Canon T70, they have a lot more soul compared to modern cameras. So it's a very welcome trend indeed of camera's reaching for their roots as far as styling go. Though there is one side they usually forget, the backside. Often these will look a little too modern compared to the front, but that's okay