Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #1

Need to replace ish d camera, help

I have 2 Pentax ish D cameras. 1 is set up with my 100 macro 1:1 lens and ring flash, I leave it like this all the time. I do a lot of macro flowers (native orchids especially). The other camera I use with different lens, for everything else.
Recently my camera says the batteries are low after only taking a few pictures. I've changed the batteries many times, same thing happens. The batteries are not low, but the camera won't take a picture. Estimate to fix is $220.
So, instead I'm thinking of buying a used camera on ebay. I don't need it to be the ish D, but I don't know any other model. Any suggestions? A friend has the pentax K20D, I like the larger viewing screen, but it's more expensive.

09-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If $200 is your budget, look at the K10D. Not the sharpest tool in the shed by modern standards, but better than the ist d, and it's got shake reduction.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... good luck on your DSLR hunting and please post us an image or two soon ... J
09-16-2013, 02:56 AM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome too the forum! I agree with Adam, look for a K10D - it's actually a very good camera.

09-16-2013, 04:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What about K200D?
09-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can use the forum database and compare feature to basically go shopping for what you want in options, and then start fishing for what you like. Personal opinion is you can't go wrong with any model that has Shake reduction. Personally I like the K100D but if you have the cash, later models do have some real advantages!!
From one new member to another,
Welcome!
09-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K10D User

Hello scurtis623, Welcome to the forum!
I'll add a + 1 for the K10D, a real workhorse camera and very sturdy construction. I also own a K-7 and enjoy the newer features, but the K10D fits my hands better, has beautiful color rendering (different sensor) and seems slightly more intuitive to use, probably because it's got less functions.
Anyway, thought you might enjoy a couple of macros photos, shot with the K10D and FA 100mm f/3.5 Macro. These are 1:2, they still hold up pretty well to enlargement.
You might check the "For Sale" forum here, I see K10's there from time to time, usually about $200-$250.
Ron

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
09-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, I had and used a couple of K10D's professionally, in fact I've still got one, there's just something nice about the images from that CCD sensor.
09-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #9

Original Poster
Need to replace pentax ish D camera, HELP.

Thank you for the info, and the pictures were beautiful! I've loved my ish D and have taken beautiful macro shots of wildflowers with it for 9 years, so I thought I'd just get another ish d on ebay, we don't have any camera stores around here anymore.

Interesting to read the k 10d is a better camera, and it's listed for only $164 at one of the online camera stores. Sounds like this would be a better purchase.

I've really enjoyed reading the replies to my problem.