Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #1

Pentax K-30 Owner

Hi all, my husband and I just got a Pentax K-30 and so far have not been able to take advantage of it's superiority due to our lack of knowledge. We purchased it because we needed a new camera and also because I needed to take pictures of my craft jewelry. So right now we are in the baby-step stage of getting to know our Pentax K-30 we've named Penny.

I look forward to getting to know Penny and all of you photography buffs asap!

Signed... Narcoleptic Manual Reader :P

09-17-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by donya Quote
Hi all, my husband and I just got a Pentax K-30 and so far have not been able to take advantage of it's superiority due to our lack of knowledge. We purchased it because we needed a new camera and also because I needed to take pictures of my craft jewelry. So right now we are in the baby-step stage of getting to know our Pentax K-30 we've named Penny.

I look forward to getting to know Penny and all of you photography buffs asap!

Signed... Narcoleptic Manual Reader :P
Welcome welcome!

Show us what results you have gotten so far, and we can perhaps help - the manuals are very general "equipment usage" and not at all "photography guides" so it won't help you for much other than learning what the different knobs will do.

That said, jewelry....that's *challenging*: all about light and reflections (and their avoidance) and shadows. If you want to take it a step up, then you likely will want a "light tent" of sort, and several light sources. No, not flash (at least, not alone) but one or two spotlights (of the right color temp). It won't have to cost you an arm or a leg, it can be set up for (relatively) cheap. I've not taken much jewelry, but that'd be my starting suggestion.
09-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the K-30 and it looks like tclausen has given you some good advice ... I am not very knowledgeable here, sorry ... please post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J
09-17-2013, 01:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! Good suggestions from tclausen. I think it would be much easier to help based on some images. I'm sure you'll get a lot of joy from Penny eventually

09-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, your camera has a name...

Maybe that's where I've been going wrong all these years.
09-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi guys! what a warm and wonderful fuzzy feeling welcome! lol

I have some photos on my PC, the thing is, I've no idea how to post pics that I downloaded onto my PC file from my video card, onto forums. Yes, I'm that cybernetically challenged! I am likely the only person who refuses to own a cell phone too! I'm so sorry! I did make a completely new thread on here titled: "HELP!!! Jewelry Shot settings desired".

In that thread I basically list the 2 lenses that came with Penny and ask if either of them are Macro Lenses? And basically ask for a starting point setting as to f-stop ranges, distance, auto vs. manual. The challenge so far has been that we can't seem to get close enough to the object using the default settings. PLEASE, answer in the other thread if at all possible. :P I'm so so so so sorry for being so inept in this area as well as no being very post-saavy yet. :/ Thanks in advance!

LOVE n HUGs as you set out on your endeavors!
09-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #7

Original Poster
well, it looks as if my "Help!!! Jewelry Shot settings desired" thread never came to full fruition. I'm not sure why. Perhaps I didn't get approved or don't have the clout yet to create a thread. So... here are my main questions:

1) We bought the K-30 and it came with these two lenses. Are the following macro lenses? If not, can you recommend a moderately priced macro-lens for jewelry?
SMC Pentax DA 18-55mm
SMC Pentax DA 50-200mm

2) Settings that deviate from the default specifically for jewelry. This camera has been reset to the defaults it came with as in my frustration I clicked, prodded, poked, and check-marked many settings to experiment, but to no avail.

3) f-stop 11 to 13 okay? How do I set the f-stops on this contraption?

4) File Format? JPEG, RAW or RAW+ for taking shots that will be posted onto Etsy.com? (if anyone has experience doing so)

5) Shake reduction on or off if I have tripod?

6) Distance from object (jewelry-earrings, necklaces, bracelets mostly)
We have not had success in getting very close up shots but the camera has a FOOD setting that has allowed closer shots.

7) Lighting. We have 2 tiny flood lights that came with a photo tent, and one art light. Would we also use a flash from the camera?

Basically all I'm really looking for at this time is a starting point. Once I have that I can post a photo. So IF anyone has a K-30 and is into taking jewelry shots, please let me know what settings you are using that deviate from the default settings of the K-30. Thanks in advance! Oh PS: I don't yet have any photos to show you as husband reset video card to start over with. I am so sorry if my lack of knowledge is a burden. I really have invested many hours trying to find answers, so please bare with me.
01-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #8

Original Poster
FYI I have an active thread:
Need Help to sell Jewelry-New K-30 Owner is confused where I've been actively updating and presenting what I've gotten so far. I received such friendliness and wonderful help and tips that you all must know I'm so very grateful! This has been the best forums experience I've ever witnessed! Thanks all!

(the reason I opened 2 threads is because when I first came on Pentax Forums I had no idea this thread "took" or was established until I made a 2nd one, and then I forgot there were 2. I am so sorry if this caused any inconvenience or unmet anticipation for my replies! I really apologize!) have a great time!