Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New member but an Old Pentaxian !

When I was in the British Army 1955-58 I was in Germany, Berlin and bought a Zeiss CONTAX 35mm with 50mm f1.5 Sonnar lens for £38-00 on which I did my first ever slide films and much B&W -- it suffered from flare as the lens was 'uncoated' -- when I got a job with a local studio back in UK in about 1961 I was introduced to local Press Photography as they did all the Press work for the local newspaper -- well, i was often cutting off the top of heads of 'VIP's' such as the Mayor due to the very small viewfinder and the 'parallax' -- one day one of the Partners showed me HIS camera which he had bought in Singapore when he was serving in the British RAF -- it was a weird-sounding 'ASAHI PENTAX K' with a strange lens called a 'TAKUMAR'-- nobody had ever heard of such things in UK -- all we knew were LEITZ Elmars, Zeiss Tessars and Sonnars -- but the RESULTS were much better due to a 'coated' lens and NO parallax !!
One day a small crowd of Camera-Starved Brits ( as the British Government levied 40% Import Duty and 60% Purchase Tax on Cameras) were seen pressing their noses to the glass window of a local Camera Dealers -- inside in Pride of Place was ONE 'ASAHI PENTAX S3' with 55mm f1.8 Super-Takumar lens at £87-00 !! Well, I rushed in, offered my Contax in part exchange and rushed out the proud owner of an ASAHI PENTAX and THAT ( so they SAY ) is where the Story Really Begins !!

09-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting intro and welcome.
I see the S3 was released in 1961. Do you still use it?
09-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for Welcome -- well I sold it many years ago -- it had a lot of film through ! A fellow Camera Club member bought it. I have many 'classic Pentaxes' now all GIVEN -- wish they were 'given' so many years ago when I was struggling !!
09-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #4

Welcome!

09-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, interesting and comprehensive intro.