Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #1

Hallo to everybody from Italy

Dear new friends,
I introduce myself. I am an engineer retired from job about 5 year ago. When I was younger I made a lot of photo with a Rolleiflex SL35 fully manual, then when the digital cameras arose I bought two low entry level camaras: a Canon Powershot (I do not remenber the type but it was about 2 to 3 megapixel), then a Nikon L18. Both them worked good. Now I have again the reflex fever and yesterday I bought a Pentax K-5 with the standard 18-55 zoom. I know it is not a very nice optic but I suppose it is enogh to stat again. I bought it for 699 (about 900USD). So I shall have the experinece of Pentax. I used a little the Canon 500D of my son but I was not convinced.
I hope to have made the right choice.
For sure I shall bore all of you of question, may be also stupid question, due to my absence of about 30 years from the reflex field.
Thank you for your assistance.
Ciao.
Ezio

09-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy that K-5 combo and there's never a stupid question in this "forum family", so do not hesitate to ask away ... and please post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J
09-25-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you'll like the K-5. It's solid, small, and powerful.

I'd suggest setting up a fast-shot mode with one of the User Modes - where you turn off all the in-camera processing, set to fast continuous drive, turn off stabilization and set to shot at higher shutter speed in TAv type mode. that's if you're after action shooting.

Otherwise, settle in and do some reading here - I've learned a helluva lot from this group.

Welcome aboard, I hope to visit Italy one of these years...
09-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and to Pentax, you'll find the photography basics are still the same as they were 30 years ago, just as well or I'd be knackered.

09-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Welcome, and congratulations on a good choice! There are no stupid questions. Really. The best way to learn is by reading, asking, and posting pictures.

Good luck, and enjoy!