Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2008, 01:52 PM   #1

Hello from London, Ontario, Canada

Thought I'd stop by and say hello! I really look forward to joining this community and contributing when I can.

A bit about me, I live just outside London, Ontario, but was born in Derby England. I'm 35(OK, 34 until next Friday), but feel like 65 most of the time I love Nottingham Forest Football Club, Shar Pei dogs, and Subaru vehicles. I read a lot, cook, and talk to my Roomba as it vacuums for me. Oh yeah, I enjoy long walks on the beach too (have to make it sound like a personal ad right?).

I've had my eye on a K10D since it was released, almost purchased one back in December 2007, then in February I realized no more new stock was coming to Canada and started to panic as everywhere I called couldn't find one for me! Coast to coast, no luck.

Then I walked into my local Henry's and saw one sitting on their display shelf. The sales rep who I've talked to many times in the past (and I trust him) told me it was a recent display model which as far as he knew hadn't been shot. So I grabbed it as fast as I could Seriously, $699 for a body of that quality is such a great value. Well, at least in my opinion (and I am opinionated!).

In the past I've shot a K1000, Canon AE-1, Nikon F65, and many P&S cameras. I've just got to a point in my life where I can dedicate some time and effort into this hobby, and perhaps use some of that previously useless info from art classes taken years ago!

Buying the K10D for me was an easy choice not just due to it's attributes but also because my lens purchases will work with future models as is Pentax tradition, and because Pentax communities seem SO much more welcoming and helpful when compared to other brands which often seem snobby. Long live the Pentaxians! (yes I bought into the Pentaxian marketing)

The equipment I've got so far to support the K10D are: DA 18-55, F series 35-80 and 80-200, F remote, 2 extra batteries, D-BG2 grip, Joby Gorillapod slr-zoom, and a Manfrotto 055MF3 carbon tripod.

I'd really appreciate people's opinions on a decent head for the 055MF3, I've been thinking of the Giottos 1301 or 1302 heads with the MH656 mount/plate, but nobody stocks them around here for me to look at and I'd hate to buy something like that without seeing it first.

03-31-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcom aboard LSR as for advice on heads check out the Camera Accessorire thread (with a search) lots of help there (use the search), or post your question there. Looking forward to some pics !
03-31-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Well Well Well..... small world Leyton.

Welcome to owning an awesome camera!

If you check my sig you will see we are now bretherin in not only cars but cameras too.

Welcome and enjoy these forums.... they are just as good as the other place we call home. Zero attitude and very helpful.

D.
04-01-2008, 05:31 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Welcome, looking forward to your white-squirrel pics

- Andrew

04-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #5
LSR

Original Poster
Cheers everyone!

White Squirrels, every time I drive through Exeter I look for those darn white squirrels!!

The only time I ever saw one, it was a very windy day and I saw this dog chasing a white plastic grocery bag out onto the road in front of my car while driving just north of Exeter.

After slamming on the brakes I realized it wasn't a plastic bag, it was a white squirrel!!! Darn thing was gone with it's friend the dog in tow before I could get to my camera.
04-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

White squirrel indeed. It was probably black but turned white with the fear of being chased.

Welcome, from just down the street.