Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2013, 06:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 331
New to the forum, new to Pentax

Greetings all! My name is Eric and I live in Maine (US). I just purchased a brand new Pentax K-30 w/ 18-55mm WR lens yesterday.... I previously had a Canon EOS Rebel XS but felt it was time to upgrade to something better. I am also taking a Photography class at my school this semester so that's another reason I wanted to upgrade.

I was close to pulling the trigger on a Canon Rebel T3i but once I did more research I discovered that I could get more bang for the buck with Pentax.... I almost sprung for the K-5 and thought about the K-5 II but I really won't be doing a ton of photography and aren't looking to do professional stuff... This is more of a casual hobby for me and I felt that for $500 the K-30 was sufficient to meet my needs.


One thing I discovered this morning which I found odd, was that I was trying to take pictures of my Rebel XS (so I can sell it online) and my K-30 literally would not snap a picture when I was trying to take a close up of a lens that was sitting on my table... The light was dim overall, but I had all the lights on in the kitchen and the camera literally would not snap a photo, I had to back up, or I had to back up AND zoom in instead of just taking a close up of it..... Is this behavior normal for a K-30 and/or Pentax in general? I was pretty alarmed when this happened. I understand that the camera doesn't want to take a picture with a crappy exposure, but it shouldn't not take a picture completely.. I feel like it should at least snap the photo....

09-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,383
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the K-30 and try @ 55mm for the close focus situation(s) ... what user mode were you in (?) ... please post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J
09-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter
g026r's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,261
Were you using AF.S mode and was it able to achieve a focus lock first? There's a setting in the advanced menu that, if enabled (and it is by default), prevents the camera from taking a picture in AF.S mode if it hasn't achieved a focus lock.

(Just from your description, my guess is that you were too close for the lens's focal distance, so it couldn't achieve that lock.)
09-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,417
How close to the subject were you? The minimum focus distance for that lens is about 11 inches.
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Every lens will have a minimum focus distance, though the short macro lenses (28mm or so) will essentially be able to focus on their own front elements.

This is where the cropping ability of the image files is key - stay back around 14-18 inches and take your picture, then crop the image closer.

I think you'll be a lot happier with the K30 than the T3. The T3 is getting pretty old now, and is not nearly as well built as the K30. Those Maine winters will pose no problems for your combo!

09-26-2013, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 331
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Were you using AF.S mode and was it able to achieve a focus lock first? There's a setting in the advanced menu that, if enabled (and it is by default), prevents the camera from taking a picture in AF.S mode if it hasn't achieved a focus lock.

(Just from your description, my guess is that you were too close for the lens's focal distance, so it couldn't achieve that lock.)
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
How close to the subject were you? The minimum focus distance for that lens is about 11 inches.
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Every lens will have a minimum focus distance, though the short macro lenses (28mm or so) will essentially be able to focus on their own front elements.

This is where the cropping ability of the image files is key - stay back around 14-18 inches and take your picture, then crop the image closer.

I think you'll be a lot happier with the K30 than the T3. The T3 is getting pretty old now, and is not nearly as well built as the K30. Those Maine winters will pose no problems for your combo!
Yes I was in AFS Mode, and i'm pretty sure it didn't achieve a focus lock....

And I was definitely closer than 11 inches from the lens I was trying to take a picture of (Was trying to get the best view/angle without having to crop the image later)...

Thanks guys for this great info, this is very helpful and i'm glad it was just me and not my camera malfunctioning...

I bought the last K-30 that my local Hunt's had and it was a display model in their case, so I was slightly worried about what people may have done to it/with it before I bought it.

Thanks again yall!
09-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 30,697
QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
I'm glad it was just me and not my camera malfunctioning
Welcome, enjoy that new camera, just a little touch of pilot error and trust me most of us have been there at some point in our respective photographic careers.
09-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9
Hey! I'm also new to Pentax from the T3i!
But I opted to get the K-5! Good luck!
10-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 331
Original Poster
So i've been feeling the desire to pick up the 18-135mm WR lens for my K30, because I feel like I don't have quite the range that I want with the 18-55mm lens. My first real shoot with my K30 was some auto racing at a local short race track. I got some decent shots, however I couldn't get anything good when the cars were on the opposite side of the track. I actually had to be at 55mm then entire day, because I wasn't doing much of anything at close range.

Since i've been pricing out that lens, it looks like $400 brand new is the best price I can find, which begs the question: Should I just ditch my K30 in favor of buying a K-5 II w/ 18-135mm WR lens? If you add $400 to the $525 I already paid for my K5, that's $925, and you can currently buy the K-5 II w/ 18-135mm lens from Amazon for $1,128.87, free shipping/no sales tax for me.

I haven't been around Pentax for very long, but I venture to say that for a $200 price difference, the K-5 II would be a better choice than a K-30.

Thoughts?

10-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,778
QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
So i've been feeling the desire to pick up the 18-135mm WR lens for my K30, because I feel like I don't have quite the range that I want with the 18-55mm lens. My first real shoot with my K30 was some auto racing at a local short race track. I got some decent shots, however I couldn't get anything good when the cars were on the opposite side of the track. I actually had to be at 55mm then entire day, because I wasn't doing much of anything at close range.

Since i've been pricing out that lens, it looks like $400 brand new is the best price I can find, which begs the question: Should I just ditch my K30 in favor of buying a K-5 II w/ 18-135mm WR lens? If you add $400 to the $525 I already paid for my K5, that's $925, and you can currently buy the K-5 II w/ 18-135mm lens from Amazon for $1,128.87, free shipping/no sales tax for me.

I haven't been around Pentax for very long, but I venture to say that for a $200 price difference, the K-5 II would be a better choice than a K-30.

Thoughts?
For $200, I'd go for the K-5II, but it's your $200 so you know how much it means to you. Mind you, to me, once you get an 18-135 it's not likely you'll use your 18-55 anymore, so it becomes an extra piece of kit. With the K-5 II deal, you get more of what you want, and less of what you won't want... at least that's my take on it.

And welcome to the forum.
10-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 331
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For $200, I'd go for the K-5II, but it's your $200 so you know how much it means to you. Mind you, to me, once you get an 18-135 it's not likely you'll use your 18-55 anymore, so it becomes an extra piece of kit. With the K-5 II deal, you get more of what you want, and less of what you won't want... at least that's my take on it.

And welcome to the forum.
Yeah I mean I figured that i'm getting the 18-135mm lens no matter what.... From what i've read about that lens compared with the 18-55, and based on my first experience of wanting more zoom in an all purpose lens, I really want that 18-135mm lens.

I suppose I could sell the 18-55 lens but it doesn't seem like i'd get much for it....

Personally I feel like if i'm gonna get better IQ and have a more capable camera for only $200 more, than I have no problem spending the money...

It really just comes down to, will I notice much difference between the K-30 and the K-5 II (assuming while using the Same Lens).

I really don't have a specific area of things I plan to photograph... I feel like I am going to be doing anything and everything.... And I will definitely be shooting more racing and sports.
10-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,778
QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
Yeah I mean I figured that i'm getting the 18-135mm lens no matter what.... From what i've read about that lens compared with the 18-55, and based on my first experience of wanting more zoom in an all purpose lens, I really want that 18-135mm lens.

I suppose I could sell the 18-55 lens but it doesn't seem like i'd get much for it....

Personally I feel like if i'm gonna get better IQ and have a more capable camera for only $200 more, than I have no problem spending the money...

It really just comes down to, will I notice much difference between the K-30 and the K-5 II (assuming while using the Same Lens).

I really don't have a specific area of things I plan to photograph... I feel like I am going to be doing anything and everything.... And I will definitely be shooting more racing and sports.
We need some help here, anyone K-30 versus K-5II IQ?

I'm using a K-01 and a K-5 (12 bit and 14 bit same as the K-30 K-5II combination) and I don't notice a difference. If you were talking K5IIs then I'd suspect you might notice a very small difference. In terms of lw/ph a K-5 II is somewhere around 2100 an K-5 is 2200 a K-30 is around 2100 lw/ph.

To compare both images side by side, go here and select the K-30 from one list and the K-5II from the one beside it and a couple of images shot at teh same ISO. You can compare as much as you like but I don't think you'll see much difference.

The thing is you're getting package deal on the K-5II and 18-135, on the K-30 deal as mentioned, it's not a package with what you want. That means getting a better camera for not much more money.
10-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 331
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We need some help here, anyone K-30 versus K-5II IQ?

I'm using a K-01 and a K-5 (12 bit and 14 bit same as the K-30 K-5II combination) and I don't notice a difference. If you were talking K5IIs then I'd suspect you might notice a very small difference. In terms of lw/ph a K-5 II is somewhere around 2100 an K-5 is 2200 a K-30 is around 2100 lw/ph.

To compare both images side by side, go here and select the K-30 from one list and the K-5II from the one beside it and a couple of images shot at teh same ISO. You can compare as much as you like but I don't think you'll see much difference.

The thing is you're getting package deal on the K-5II and 18-135, on the K-30 deal as mentioned, it's not a package with what you want. That means getting a better camera for not much more money.
Thanks for this great info, this is very helpful. I knew these 2 cameras were close, for some reason I thought the K-5 II had a slight IQ edge on the K-30 but it appears to be negligible.

Also, isn't the K-30 better at Video quality than the K-5 II? I don't plan to do a ton of video, but I will do some video and if the Picture IQ on these cameras is very close, and the K-30 has better video quality than it would make more sense for me to stick with the K-30.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, canon, close, k-30, k-5, lens, pentax, picture, rebel, xs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to the Pentax Forum P Shooter Welcomes and Introductions 5 07-16-2013 05:59 PM
New to the Pentax Forum colinsart Welcomes and Introductions 2 02-27-2013 08:37 AM
New to the Pentax Forum donaldchalfy Welcomes and Introductions 2 05-24-2012 01:48 PM
New to the forum...old to Pentax greeneyes1 Welcomes and Introductions 3 02-17-2012 08:17 PM
New to the forum - not new to Pentax! jonathanpeiffer Welcomes and Introductions 4 08-21-2011 01:37 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:38 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top