Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2013, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #1

new to digital astrophotography

Hi,

I live on the south-east coast of Australia and am starting to have time to enjoy using the recently purchased K30 with the 18-135mm lens. My previous experience was a few decades ago with a pentax SLR and film.

The first week or so with this DSLR I just used the auto (everything) to take pictures so I could get the feel for it. I am impressed. We live on a hill and using the interval method it created some very good timelapses of sunsets.

Now, I am attempting to take photos of the night time sky. My initial attempts were reasonable, but I have not yet worked out how to manually focus the camera at night. The settings I used were:
Mode M
Focus mode MF (when using AF.S the shutter would not work - just the green autofocus light would flash)
ISO 3200
F3.5
Lens 18mm
interval 20 secs every minute
Shake Reduction on
Noise Reduction on

Before going out and investing in a GPS or other accessories, I am making sure I know the basics of using the K30

Does someone know where I can find a basic step by step guide to astrophotography using the K30?

Peter

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
09-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, it may pay to visit the K-30 section of the forum and ask your question there where more people will see it.
10-01-2013, 03:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! Congrats on a great camera and a great lens

There are several very competent astro photographers here. As eaglem says, ask on the K-30 section or the Photographic Technique section and I'm sure you will get plenty of good advise.

Good luck!
10-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the K-30 and please post us another image or two soon ... Salut, J

10-02-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I'll just say welcome to you, as I nothing absolutely nothing about this branch of photography.

I'll leave that to the clever folk around here who do.