Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2013, 05:11 AM   #1

Hello from a lurker

Hi,

I've been lurking on here for a couple of years since I decided to get a DSLR.

I picked the pentax K5 because of its backward compatibility with all the old k mount lenses and its water resistance for mountain biking and generally living in the soggy UK.

Its been good, having my first K5 pinched was less good and the current replacement is mirror flopping. Bah!

This is the reason for signing up. Pentaxes UK service folk said it would/could/might (depending on what it is) be £170 to get the camera fixed as its out of warranty. I bought it second hand last summer so out of the 6 month second hand warranty from the shop.

Is it worth getting it fixed when another K5 would be £300- £350

Cheers for all the help and advice that I've garnered by lurking so far.

Martin

10-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the flops are only occasional or rare, I'd be tempted to live with it until the K3 is released and look for a K5II or K5 at a better discount. I have repaired a lens which cost half a used replacement, so it's a personal call.

I've seen some threads on fixing the flopping issue, have you searched through those?
10-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
The flops are every time I put a newly charged battery in, so every 100-400 photos. Its irritating more than anything.

I've looked for but mush have missed the threads about fixing them, I go have a search

Cheers
10-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the forum and please post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J

PS - What kind of battery are you using, OEM Pentax or a third party?

10-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, think I might be tempted to purchase a new K5, keep this one as a second body/back up and have it repaired when funds allow.