Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bolt Quote
and now own a Canon 1D-X which is my workhorse for both film and photographic ventures
1D-X and film? What, are you "scanning" your negatives with that camera?

10-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe film = video.

Lots of nice gear, hopefully it's working well for Bolt.
10-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Maybe film = video.
I was thinking the same thing. They used to be called movies until Hollywood decided that "Making a film" sounded more sophisticated and elite than "Making a movie".
10-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Okay, video makes more sense. Since I also shoot film cameras, I have that on my brain.

10-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
where do teenagers find $10,000 these days?
Actually, the O.P says he's from NSW.
than makes it more like $14,000.00 AUD (plus lenses).

We're all waiting to see the actual K-3

Where about's in NSW are you from?
You should try and catch up with one of our sydney meet-ups
10-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Well after spending most of my afternoons or work toilet breaks to trudge through the endless barrage of misconceptions and rumours I have finally decided to myself become a photographic-hipster and join the Pentax community.

Photographic hipster? Them's fighting words...
10-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #22

Original Poster
OP

OP here to answer your numerous inquiries regarding my legitimacy.

How did I afford it? I work with my old high school chemistry teacher and sell crystal method to street kids, of course.

I had money put away for me by an older family member. It was going to be for university, but you know, 'YOLO'. The balance of the funds were paid for myself. It is easy to afford things, even on poverty stricken hospitality wages. It is all about prioritizing and opportunity cost.

No, I am not trolling. Although I do not judge you for presuming as it is very unlikely that someone my age would own a camera or such high calibre. My age has changed though: today was my 19th birthday and I have been working since 4AM. Lucky me.

The reason I own a 1D X is because I am a perfectionist [Yes, you can SUFFER from perfectionism], and will actually avoid taking certain images if I do not own gear that I think is suited for the task. So I bought the best camera in the world and now I have no excuses. I admit it is overkill, but enjoy the looks I get from camera store owners when they ask what camera I use.

Also, yes I do know the K3 will be APSC. I am OK with this. It is for travel, low light performance is not a priority. I just need something invincible, compact and high IQ.

In regards to Pentax being 'hipster', I was simply referring to non-photographic oriented individuals who when you explain you are a photographer ask you: 'Oh, do you shoot Canon or Nikon'

I am from Goulburn, to be more specific.

If you still do not believe I own a 1D X, then give me a number between 1 & 10
10-04-2013, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

not applicable anymore

Last edited by newmikey; 10-05-2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: moderation headsup
10-04-2013, 12:37 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Have you considered a mirrorless? Having a DSLR/mirrorless combo I find pretty nice.
10-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Welcome Mr. Bolt. You're first post might have seemed a little pretentious, but the second explains things somewhat. Now, why not post some pics and show us what the 'best camera in the world' is capable of.
(Personally, I thought the K5 II was the best camera in MY world.....)

Regards
10-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #26
Pentaxian

If you still do not believe I own a 1D X, then give me a number between 1 & 10
Sorry, I can only give you a number 19 which is DxOMark's rating of the sensor in that camera. Clearly not a front-runner for the price but, then again, DxOMark's ratings don't mean much when it comes to taking pictures.
10-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Sorry, I can only give you a number 19 which is DxOMark's rating of the sensor in that camera. Clearly not a front-runner for the price but, then again, DxOMark's ratings don't mean much when it comes to taking pictures.
Not bad for a canon, that's slightly more than one point per megapixel
10-05-2013, 03:10 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Please, do not get me started on DxO Mark. The results they display while they might be accurate, are portrayed in a horribly inefficient way.

Also, if we are going to go off DxO as a playing field, I would suggest that you would admit that Canon offers better quality optics than Pentax? The sharpest Pentax K Mount lens scores as sharp as those on Canon's fifth page.
10-05-2013, 03:15 AM   #29
Pentaxian

empty post

Last edited by newmikey; 10-05-2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: moderation headsup
10-05-2013, 03:30 AM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
By now I suppose we can raise a troll alert...
Yep. You guys got me. I am a troll. I have tricked all of you! Now I will celebrate alone in my basement with a chilled glass of savagnin blanc and the knowledge that some Pentaxian somewhere believes a teenager owns an expensive camera.

but seriously, I even wrote something on Canonrumours Forums about DxO Mark. Neuroanatomist sums it up well: "So, we have a single 'weighted average' number, with non-linearity in the calculation mentioned elsewhere in the article, and no information on the actual calculation, what is weighted vs. not, not even confirmation that the same weightings are universally applied. That, IMO, renders the Sensor Score meaningless, a problem further compounded when people erroneously extrapolate that meaningless number to be a measure of overall camera performance."

Why I don't like DxO Mark Scores

I wonder why everyone over at Canon didn't have such a negative opinion. Maybe they weren't surprised by the existence of a Full Frame DSLR.