Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2008, 02:59 PM   #1

Hello to all.

Hi, I'm new here... just thought I'd introduce myself. I don't actually own a pentax yet, just seriously considering buying one. So hopefully I'll get some good info and advices here.

03-28-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Hello xxatti, welcome here. I'm new here also and I have found many interesting threads.
03-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just Say NO!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by xxatti Quote
I don't actually own a pentax yet, just seriously considering buying one. So hopefully I'll get some good info and advices here.
My advice: don't do it, man! Pentax is like really really good crack (pardon the oxymoron). Actually, it's kind of like buying a horse or having a baby. Once you get the primary item, there's soooo much stuff ya gotta get because.

Here's what just one little month of ownership has done to me...
  • K10D w/ 18-55 kit lens
  • 50mm f/1.4
  • 75-300mm zoom (macro)
  • 1.5x teleconverter
  • wireless remote
  • 2 extra batteries
  • battery grip
  • 49mm & 62mm UV & CP filters
  • mini tripod (thank gawd I already had 2 full-sized ones)
  • holster bag for family gatherings
  • lens cleaning kit
  • Katz Eye view screen (ordered that today!)
  • small gear bag - for "zoo" trips
  • Ape Case (pictured) for hauling it all.
  • a few books
And I still have (at least) 2 more lenses I want (no, I need them ... really!) plus a good flash! Do you see the problem here???

So Run, do not walk, RUN as fast as you can before you end up like the rest of us who suffer the tramatic effects of LBA and GBA.
03-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
My advice: don't do it, man! Pentax is like really really good crack (pardon the oxymoron). Actually, it's kind of like buying a horse or having a baby. Once you get the primary item, there's soooo much stuff ya gotta get because.

Here's what just one little month of ownership has done to me...
  • K10D w/ 18-55 kit lens
  • 50mm f/1.4
  • 75-300mm zoom (macro)
  • 1.5x teleconverter
  • wireless remote
  • 2 extra batteries
  • battery grip
  • 49mm & 62mm UV & CP filters
  • mini tripod (thank gawd I already had 2 full-sized ones)
  • holster bag for family gatherings
  • lens cleaning kit
  • Katz Eye view screen (ordered that today!)
  • small gear bag - for "zoo" trips
  • Ape Case (pictured) for hauling it all.
  • a few books
And I still have (at least) 2 more lenses I want (no, I need them ... really!) plus a good flash! Do you see the problem here???

So Run, do not walk, RUN as fast as you can before you end up like the rest of us who suffer the tramatic effects of LBA and GBA.
Cool. Perhaps you can recommend some lenses I should buy for fashion photography? I keep reading, and it seems that almost no one uses the kit lenses.

03-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Other than the SMC FA f/1.4 50mm I personally wouldn't have a clue on lenses for model work. There are several shooters on the board here that do model work though and they'd be the ones to offer advice on specific lenses. But basically every lens ever made for the K-mount can be used with the Pentax DSLRs; you won't be able to use the on-camera aperture and auto-focus controls on the older manual lenses, of course, but as you'll see from posts by the veterans here on the board these older lenses still work magnificently.