Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Greetings from Los Angeles

Hi, I am mostly posting here because I have to make one post before posting a lens review.

I recently bought a K30. This is my second DSLR but as I bought the first (an original Rebel) from a friend a few years after it released, and never had time to learn how to use it, it gathered dust. And every time I'd start to look into buying a more current camera, I'd get overwhelmed and suffer from analysis paralysis. Finally this time around I came across the K30 and it had so much going for it I decided to go for it (my other top contenders were the T3i and the Nikon D3200).

Anyway, I have picked up a few lenses on eBay - 3 primes (Toyo Optics 28mm 2.8, Pentax 50mm f/2, Owen Automatic 135mm 2.8, all manual), and a Sigma DG 70-300 mm F/4.0-5.6 DG AF. Also waiting on a set of macro filter/lenses. I will be mostly photographing, well, everything; we have dogs, cats, children, praying mantises (pets - hence the need for macro), a garden, classic vehicles, wildlife (I'm hoping the Sigma can catch some of our local hawks), and so on.

Still wrapping my head around how all of the various settings work together and figured I'd choose the above as my "learning lenses" and spring for better glass once I have a better feel for what I need.

10-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hya Coelli welcome.
Did you sort out how to meter with those lenses ?
The sigma is quite a capable lens and should be fully controlled by the body.
The Pentax M 50/2 will need the body to be in M mode to get the lens stopping down,
set the aperture on the lens then just hit the green button to have the camera meter and set the shutter speed automatically .
have fun
Pete
10-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome. You might want to check in here...

California Pentax Users - PentaxForums.com
10-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome from Iowa! Looks like you already have a good selection lenses, but you can always use more! You also have lots of options for photos! Sounds like a perfect combination!!
Joel

10-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums.
Hope to see you at our next meetup.
Check the group SpecialK pointed at, I'm thinking some of us may get together at the Covina Thunderfest this month.
Cheers!
Larry
10-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy that K-30 (w/legacy glass ) and please post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J
10-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, remember the learning bit is also part of the fun, but doesn't always seem so at the time.

10-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Hya Coelli welcome.
Did you sort out how to meter with those lenses ?
The sigma is quite a capable lens and should be fully controlled by the body.
The Pentax M 50/2 will need the body to be in M mode to get the lens stopping down,
set the aperture on the lens then just hit the green button to have the camera meter and set the shutter speed automatically .
have fun
Pete
I did sort of figure this out - I'm still trying to understand aperture settings, but I got some good pictures (well, to my unpracticed eye) from the 28mm and 50mm yesterday afternoon.

That was one of the deciding factors in going with Pentax; the opportunity to use so many lenses!

I hope these images aren't too big -

Toyo 28mm 2.8 and my favorite model (he's a pro):

Pentax 50mm f/2
10-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Welcome. You might want to check in here...

California Pentax Users - PentaxForums.com
Thank you! I will!
10-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Welcome to the forums.
Hope to see you at our next meetup.
Check the group SpecialK pointed at, I'm thinking some of us may get together at the Covina Thunderfest this month.
Cheers!
Larry
Unfortunately I have an art class in Westminster in the morning and then something in Burbank that evening so I can't make it this time - but I'd definitely be interested in future events!