Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm baaaaaaaack......

G'day all, some of you might remember me from a couple of years back - and some might even stay to finish this paragraph having been reminded of who I am . I once frequented these halls and sometimes went to play with others outside - my fondest memory being the first "Single In" challenge that we started in September 2011 (?). For those that don't know me, Mark from out near the capital of Australia. :tip hat: Pleased to make your acquaintance.

I wandered off for a bit to focus on compact and film cameras. I started with the Fuji x100 (and poetically 'ended' with the X100s) and then micro 4/3s and then to Leica rangefinders, etc., etc.. I still play with film - both rangefinder and compacts - but not Leicas (another story). So why did I leave compacts?...well I found myself with the perfect photo opportunity but no camera. Please don't think me THAT simple, I did have three cameras in the car, but not a single one of them was weather-sealed - the weather was awful but the potential images were perfect, it was SOOOOO FRUSTRATING! Lesson learned! I needed the most competent weather-sealing and something with as good a sensor as the GR - now that compact has stolen my heart. I thought about the OMD but it felt wrong in hand, then I tried a K30 in the store and that was it. So I'm back - though not with a K30.
NB: I've also had a stint with full-frame digital (Nikon D700) and so have that out of my system. No whinging about no FF Pentax/Ricoh from me.

So I reenter Pentax with a used K5, 18-135 and D-FA100 Macro WR. I'm after a fast normal in the short-term and a longer lens in the longer term - probably DA*300.

Since I'm back in the Pentax/Ricoh family I thought I'd check back into the friendliest community there was - well except the one I moderated for a time, but it's a competitor so not to be mentioned here - and I hope it still is

Hope the door is still open and that I might connect with some folks on a similar leg in our photo journey.

10-05-2013, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome back to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy that K-5 with the D FA 100/2.8 Macro (I love my combo of these two) and please post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J
10-06-2013, 03:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Looking at your user name - are you a "revenuer" who hunts down illegal stills?

Oh, welcome back.
10-06-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome back! You got yourself weather sealed, I see, and very well so.

Good luck with your hunt for a Sigma.

10-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome back Mark. We've missed you in the Single in Challenges, started in September 2010. Glad you finally got tired of not having the right camera (Pentax) for what you needed. Are you going to join again next month?
10-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Single ins are still going if you're up for the insanity... You were not really gone, most of use were following your flickr feed
10-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome back to the fold, you've been "missing" too long.

10-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Jean Poitiers: Bonjour right back at ya mate. Love the signature block - "Holy blooming LBA, Batman!". Probably the very reason I hesitated in signing back in.
@p38arover: "revenuer" hmmm....nah mate I'm all legit and no bounty hunter....so as you were
@savoche: Not had a spot of rain yet, but oddly enough I am praying for it just so I can take my gear out in it.
@photolady95: Hello again there. 2010?...oh it has been far too long then. Great to get a warm welcome from an old friend....well I say that until old Paddy (patolds) tracks me down I say that in jest I hope all the old gang are doing well.
@mattt: Yeah it's been good keeping up contact via Flickr. Hey, never fear I've had your back on there too mate
@kerrowdown: Thanks mate. Us Aussies always seem to get on pretty well with the Scots.
10-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshunter Quote
Us Aussies always seem to get on pretty well with the Scots
Especially when drinks involved.