Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #1

Hello from Kabul Afghanistan

Hello folks. I've been using a K-x since I picked it up new from Amazon in late 2010 and love it. I work in Kabul, and occasionally travel around other areas of Afghanistan, so felt that I'd rather have something that was a bit more resistant to the dust that this place throws at you. It eats cameras in no time.. and computers, and heavy equipment... not to mention the occasional lung.

My K-30 is on order, along with a selection of WR lenses. I'm picking them up at the house, while I'm home on vacation later this month. I've looking forward to giving it a go.

Cheers,
Daryle

10-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the K-x and the K-30 when you get it ... please post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J
10-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DWBayless Quote
It eats cameras in no time..
Welcome to the forum, the sand in in Saudi Arabia ate two on my Nikon F3s back in the old days and they were supposed to have been dust sealed.

The LXs I replaced them with, never missed a beat.
10-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

As-Salaam Alaykum! Chu torasti

I spent 12 months in your beautiful country as part of the U.S. Army - I was in Ghazni Province in the city of Ghazni. I had a photojournalism project that proved quite popular here, but ended up having to delete it for false security concerns. I'm in the process of reinstating it all since it's been approved again, but in the meantime, you might be interested in this. It's an article that I wrote for Amateur Photographer Magazine thanks to that project.

Afghanistan is a beautiful country, and I hope the region will find peace and tolerance someday in the near future - the people have so much potential there. Regardless, I will return someday as a tourist wielding not body armor and guns but a backpack and camera. Some of my best friends are my two interpreters that I had assigned to me, Hamed and Parwiz

Again, welcome

-Heie

P.S., I think you came to the right place for weather resistant photography

02-08-2014, 12:55 AM   #5

Original Poster
I really dig the K-30s. I like it so much I've ordered a second one for my wife.

I probably should have been more clear, I work in Afghanistan, but am not from here. I'm from West Virginia, USA. I spent a year in Kandahar on my final deployment, before retiring from the US Navy, then came back as a consultant for ISAF. I finish up shortly. My position is going away and I'm heading back home.

I spent about 9 months working in FOB Ghazni, before Kabul. It is a beautiful area with good people. I didn't get off base nearly as often as I would have liked to. I'd love nothing more than to be able to come here as a visitor, after peace and stability are truly established. There are many places where I'd like to be turned lose with my camera.

Excellent article! Thank you for the link.

Cheers,
Daryle
02-08-2014, 01:43 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Ahh ok, I wasn't sure. Pardon the assumption But yea the K-30's are phenomenal cameras. Good on you for making it so your wife doesn't have to steal yours

FOB Ghazni
Are you SERIOUS?! That video above was shot at FOB Vulcan just a few klicks up the road (it has since been turned over entirely to the Afghans), and I was based out of Ghazni for my 12-month deployment from Feb '12 to Feb '13. I was with the route clearance company supporting the Polish maneuver forces. Good 'ole Task Force White Eagle

We seriously may have passed each other many times.

I'd love nothing more than to be able to come here as a visitor, after peace and stability are truly established. There are many places where I'd like to be turned lose with my camera.
Agree 100%. I got a chance to get out a lot, and these are two of my favorite pictures of the Afghan civilians. In case you might know where, they were taken at the school (for the window shot) and the village (for the elder shot) located just south of the Gates of Ghazni on Highway 1.

Name:  IMG_6058-Edit.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  261.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6069-Edit.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  209.5 KB

I have often said I plan to return, despite my soldiers telling me I was f'ing crazy or dumb to want to return. Never in my life have to be able to step between contemporary cities (in their own way) and villagers whom look like they or their ways of life haven't changed since Jesus roamed the earth. All within about 20 km's. It was unbelievably surreal.

-Heie
02-11-2014, 08:35 AM   #7

Original Poster
Ha! Yep. We were in Ghazni at the same time. I arrived in June '12 and transferred to Kabul in December 12. I worked with the TFWE folks, out of the Radio Hamdard building. Every now and then, I'd go hang around with the Navy folks at the PRT, because they spoke the same language as me, both literally and figuratively.

I'd love to come back here some day. I've had the opportunity to leave base and go poking around. Mostly in Kabul, but also Bamyan. With the election campaigns spinning up, I suspect things are going to get a bit more interesting. There are some beautiful places here. Having said that, I admit that I am ready to head back to West Virginia. My position is being deleted, and if it weren't, I think I'd go ahead and resign.

Cheers,
Daryle