Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello from another Canadian

Hi all, another K100D user from Toronto. Bought my K100D last November and it's my first DSLR. I am loving the camera so far except I am still not very comfortable with the battery performance. Trying to convince myself it's the batteries. I guess I haven't been using the camera enough to fully test it out. Thanks to Pentax Canada we have 2 year warranty here so I have lots of time!

See you soon in other threads!

01-17-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi, SimSV and welcome to the forums.
I have recently acquired a K110. I have been very pleased with the performance of some NIMH rechargeables I purchased at Target. I have taken as many as 300+ shots with them and the battery indicator has remained at full.
What type of batteries are you using?

Will
01-17-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome, Will.

- The supplied alkaline lasted for about 20 shots
- 2 sets of Energizer 2100mAh, each set lasted about 30 shots. (okok, they are not new but they aren't bad)
- 1st set of eneloops lasted 300 shots, then depeted in cold. Changed to 2nd set of fresh-out-of-package eneloops, depleted after 10 shots. Let both set warm up got another 100 from the first set. Haven't used the 2nd set much but there's still power left.

I guess started with old NiMh gave me the bad first impression and I shouldn't blame the camera... but still, it has become my No.1 worry every time I take the camera out. And updating firmware almost gave me heart attack!!!
01-17-2007, 10:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SimSV Quote
Thanks for the welcome, Will.

- The supplied alkaline lasted for about 20 shots
- 2 sets of Energizer 2100mAh, each set lasted about 30 shots. (okok, they are not new but they aren't bad)
- 1st set of eneloops lasted 300 shots, then depeted in cold. Changed to 2nd set of fresh-out-of-package eneloops, depleted after 10 shots. Let both set warm up got another 100 from the first set. Haven't used the 2nd set much but there's still power left.

I guess started with old NiMh gave me the bad first impression and I shouldn't blame the camera... but still, it has become my No.1 worry every time I take the camera out. And updating firmware almost gave me heart attack!!!
Welcome to the forums SimSV. I'm a K100D user living west of you in Mississauga. You'll find a few users here around the GTA, and several within a few hours driving distance. The number of Canadians in this forum continues to grow a ton.

Addressing your battery concerns:

I'm using two sets of Duracell 2650 mAh, as well as a 2 year old set of Energizer 2300 mAh's. Haven't had much problems with them. A lot of users here are saying use Eneloops - I don't know where to get them around here, and since my batteries seem to be in good shape, I'm not panicking yet.

Tips:

NiMH batteries fresh out of the package will almost always be depleted. Charge them first.

Fresh NiMH batteries will need one or two full cycles (full charge then full deplete) before you start to notice they last longer, don't know why, but my Duracells in the first go only lasted 450 shots. Now they go 650-700 easy and went about 400 shots in this really cold weather. My Energizer 2300 mAh last about 550-600 shots in using a good mix of flash and review pictures on LCD.

Alkaline and NiMH batteries will lose their charge as the weather gets colder - just the nature of the battery chemistry. If you're shooting in cold weather keep a set of Lithium CRV3 batteries handy. Pricey? Yes, but they hold their charge better and last longer than any alkaline and almost all NiMH's. Or you can try like I do - keep the extra set of batteries in your coat's inner pocket and let your body keep them warm until you need them.

Hope this helps. Have fun with your camera and post some pictures!

01-18-2007, 06:47 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome and advice, Alvin. You can get eneloops from The Source (ex-Radio Shack). I picked them up when they were on sale, 8 for $30.
01-18-2007, 10:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hello and welcome!

great to see another canadian on board!

Just one question on your battery performance....
are you using the flash all the time?
when we first got my wife's k100 the flash pops up and fires automatically every time you press the shutter. please ignore this if you already know, as I am not trying to insult your intellegence in any way!
this will eat up batteries like no tomorrow. my friend at work took his on a trip to England and told me he spent about 100 dollars on batteries for around 500 shots.
the reason? his flash was on all the time too!

so if you didn't know, there is a setting in your camera to set the flash to manual, meaning it will only fire when you pop the flash up manually with the designated button.

looking forward to your pics,
some of us in the TO area might get together in the spring, you are more then welcome to join us when we do!

cheers from midland ontario
01-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hey Slipchuck, thanks for your welcome and input. No insult taken and you actually made me feel good. Yes, i know the manual flash mode and I am using that now. And mine has been doing much better (unless batteries are crazily expensive in England) than your friend's even with a lot of flash. Like i have said, it was probably the old batteries. With new eneloops I got at least 400 with a lot of flash use in mix of warm and cold temperature. Not bad considering they are only 2000mAh.

Just an interesting observation, multiple similar topics on batteries were posted in DPreview since the *ist days and a number of people replied with having similar "problem". I did a search in this forum and couldn't find one. Maybe this Penax forum has some magical force!

01-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hello from another Canadian

SimsSV

I live in Toronto's Steeles and Leslie area.
Alkaline batteries are included with the K100D for set up purposes only. They have a very short life. NiCads don't seem to be much better.

I have been using Sanyo Ni-MH 2500 mAh 1.2v cells. Model HR-3U. I was very dissapointed with them at first but after a couple of recharges they now seem to last for over 325 shots. That is more than satisfactory. It seems they need a breaking in period. Of course I always carry a spare quartet with me just in case. I do believe the 2500 mAh is important.

I have just tried to deplete them by taking a number of shots in rapid succession. After 25 I gave up as I am very unlikely to take that many in 60 seconds. The indicater still shows that the batteries are fully charged.

I know that flash will discharge them much more quickly. On the few occasions when that has happened I found that shutting the camera off for a few minutes allows the batteries to regain some charge.

I have had them out in the cold for over 3 hours without them failing. Okay we haven't yet had real cold here this winter but it was cool.

Mickey
01-18-2007, 08:19 PM   #9

I don't know how many of you remember the film "The Savage Innocents" telling a tale of "Eskimos" (as they were then known) and set in the far North.
There's a scene where 'he' complains of his feet being cold and 'she' obligingly warms them for him by putting them up the front of her clothing. (Very tittilating ).
Sexy scenes notwithstanding, using the same principle with a camera, you can also keep the batteries performing better as well as the mechanicals of the camera itself.
I'm sure that you extreme Northerners are well aware of the dangers to the flesh of cold-burning by frozen objects placed against the skin, but to others I'd advise you to keep a few layers of clothing between yourselves and very cold materials, especially metals of high thermal conductivity.

By the way, I'd like to say to all of you how much I enjoy this forum. I don't have a lot to contribute as there seem to be many, better qualified than I, who regularly contribute their 'words of wisdom'.
Thankyou all.

Ciao 4 Nao

Rolly
01-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the welcome and advice, Alvin. You can get eneloops from The Source (ex-Radio Shack). I picked them up when they were on sale, 8 for $30.
You are certainly welcome.

Now I have to thank you for the tip you gave me - 8 for $30?!? WOW! I'll wait for the next sale and grab some.
01-19-2007, 05:28 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Alvin, interestingly enough, the sale starts again today!!!

The Source By Circuit City : Ni-MH Rechargables - ENELOOP AA NI-MH RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES, 8-PACK
01-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

What a time to get with no dough! (Just spent on a used lens) Hope this sale gets extended.
01-19-2007, 07:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
What a time to get with no dough! (Just spent on a used lens) Hope this sale gets extended.
what'cha buy, alvin, A?

cheers

randy
01-19-2007, 07:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Randy - Hehehe! See my welcome to Buckethead. I sorta replied to you there too regarding another LBA tip. hahaha
01-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Woohoo! Thanks for the tip, Sim! Oh, and welcome to the forum - I dashed off to the website to see if it was really true and forgot to leave a welcome. This morning I went to the nearest store-formerly-known-as-Radio-Shack (I just can't get used to calling it "The Source") and found a big display of eneloops. Eight packs, $44.95. Hm, says I, what gives? Various other "buy x and get two AAs free" deals, but nothing about the 8-packs.

I asked the sales guy if the deal was only on on-line purchases. He seemed baffled by the question. I told him they were $30, his eyebrows went way up. He checked the computer, and lo and behold, they really were $30! "Wow, great deal," he says, and starts to ring in the purchase. Just then the boss comes by, grabs a two-pack off the display, tosses it on the counter and says, "Why don't you get the whole deal?" The sales guy said "But that's only if you buy a 4-pack, she's buying 8." "Give 'em to her anyway!" "Okay, you're the boss..." He was still shaking his head in wonder when I left the store!

So for $30 I got 10 (ten) eneloops, woohoo! Of course I don't have many things around that take 2 AAs, but I'm sure I'll find something. But that's not the point, I got a deal!

Just goes to show it pays to be a regular customer - we're in there fairly often buying various widgets, and I guess the boss recognized me.

Thanks again for the tip, I really like rechargables but my energizers often go flat from one weekend to the next. Now I just have to get decent charger.

Julie