Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Greetings. New to Pentax

Greetings All, Over the past decades i have been a Minolta / Sony man. One night All my camera gear was stolen out of my car in my own driveway.
Neither auto or home insurance would cover it. So i had to start a new, but since Sony has gone to all digital viewfinders, (in the camera range that i can afford), I have had to say goodby to Sony, because i just feel disconnected from the subject when viewing it through a digital screen.
So I decided to go with Pentax as my new Brand. After some research i decided on a new Pentax k-30.

Now i just got the camera and am learning its various features and menus and i notice the firmware is 1.01 so i have a couple of questions.
I mainly shoot AP center point AF. I don't bother with Face recognition. and quite often use manual focus.

But my questions are these:
#1 Is there really an advantage to upgrading the firmware from 1.01?

#2 Which setup actually draws more "power" current or voltage from the camera? The HSM or SDM focus system or the old in-camera focus drive motor? I mean obviously any slow lens is going to hunt more and thus draw more power. In such a case, which lens focus system drains the battery faster?

10-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello, and welcome to the Forums.

I have had the K-30 for close to a year I still have the original version 1.01 installed I have not seen the need too upgrade . I may in the future but ha.ven't yet

On your second question I can not help since most of my glass is old manual focus lenses. Live view and on board flash seem to be the big drains . I don't use either of them much
10-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Iowa. And first I'll just Say "THOSE DIRTY STINKIN INSURANCE RATS!! I mean come on, not replace your gear? Now for your questions, I don't have a clue! I just wanted to say hi, and I think you will really like your new equipment!
Joel
10-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... enjoy the K-30 and please post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J

10-13-2013, 04:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hey there. I've also just got a K-30 (and loving it). Stink on the insurance though. >_<

I must ask: where do you see what firmware you have? I didn't even think about that.
10-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, you'd think that one of those policies would have covered your gear, have you been fairly forceful with them?

You may have to go in and it could get bloody.
10-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, you'd think that one of those policies would have covered your gear, have you been fairly forceful with them?

You may have to go in and it could get bloody.
Thanks to All for the Welcomes and condolences.
i NEVER leave my gear in the car over night, but this one time and the car was not locked. Sadly the Insurance company considers an unlocked car as an "Invitation" and since it was in the driveway it was not considered "In the Home" This particular insurance company makes the claim of being "On your side" but they definitely were not on mine.

Last edited by OldNoob; 10-13-2013 at 04:49 PM.
10-13-2013, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
Thanks to All for the Welcomes and condolences.
i NEVER leave my gear in the car over night, but this one time and the car was not locked. Sadly the Insurance company considers an unlocked car as an "Invitation" and since it was in the driveway it was not considered "In the Home" This particular insurance company makes the claim of being "On your side" but they definitely were not on mine.
Oh, so you were "asking for it" then? Oh well that's ok then. >_<

Insurance is such a damn racket