Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #1

Hi from the midwest

Hi, I'm a new user but I've beenreading the lens review forums on here for the past couple of years to evaluate new lens purchases. I have a K100D, which I have had for about a year and a half, and for the most part, I love it. I bought it because I was looking for a DSLR and wanted the ability to use the old manual lenses I had for my ME Super. I am definitely an amateur, and have had very little training apart from a class or two in college. Most of my shooting is outdoors, and I primarily focus on aviation, wildlife, and landscape scenery. I also have kids, so some of my shots include the requisite family-type photos, although I'm pretty terrible at those, especially posed shots.

I finally got around to joining the forum today because I have been considering an upgrade to a used K7, and the last few days I have been looking all over doing research. Because it's just a hobby, I can't afford to spend top dollar on new gear, but the K7 has come down to where it's just about in my price range...so it's become a real possibility. Any comments or suggestions related to the decision to upgrade would be welcome.

10-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome! I'm in Iowa, where you at? Another K100 fan!! There is still plenty of us around. Even if you upgrade keep that baby around for a backup. You will notice that even though a new camera will have many improvements, there is something special about how the ccd sensor renders images!!
Joel
10-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hey ya fellers... I'm also in Iowa... (Oskaloosa) Nothing wrong with the K100D! I had one before getting a couple of K-x's. I'd still have it, but I couldn't justify having 3 DSLRs. The K100D took great pics, though. And Joel's right about that sensor being pixie-dusty. Enjoy your camera, 92FSTech!
10-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome! I'm in Indiana...the northern part, which is really a lot like Iowa :-). I had considered selling the K100 to help finance the K7, but I think I would miss it too much, plus it's worth more to me than what I will likely be able to get for it. Maybe I'll get a split-prism insert for the viewfinder and use it as a designated body for my MF lenses. The color depth it can achieve with my 28mm SMC M 2.8 is pretty phenomenal.

10-16-2013, 02:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... enjoy the forum and I keep my K110D in the car all the time for quick snaps ... had a K-7 which was nice, but really prefer my current K-5 ... please post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J
10-16-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 92FSTech Quote
Maybe I'll get a split-prism insert for the viewfinder and use it as a designated body for my MF lenses.
Sounds like a plan... I've done that with all 5 Pentax DSLRs I've owned so far. Those split-prism screens are very useful for manual focus.
10-16-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard from a Chicagolander!

I put a split-prism screen in my K-10, which was very useful. I haven't taken that step with the K-5 though.
11-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy.

11-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #9
Site Supporter

K-7 or K-5?

Hello 92FSTech, Welcome to the Forum!
My suggestion is to try to squeeze out a few more bucks from the budget and go for a used K-5. I've owned a K110D (gave it to my sister when I upgraded to a K10D) but never had a problem with it, it's fine in a limited way. Didn't know that until I upgraded.
Next was a K-7 and there's dozens of my photos posted here, taken with that camera. At ISO's 400 and lower, it is great, and most of my shooting was done in that range, so (again) I didn't know what I was missing.
Until I upgraded again.
The K-5 is the dealbreaker at every ISO I've tried, including 6400, a number that was unheard of, or unimagined by me, until now. Honestly, the K-5 is about as good at 1600 as the K-7 at 400! That's two more fully useable stops, whether it's indoors, fast-moving action, low-light or anything else.
It's a world of difference above ISO 400, even if you don't think you need it. Sooner or later, you will.
The (classic) K-5's are going for about $500, and you can also get a new K-30 for that price, another great upgrade. Either one would last for years and open possibilities that just won't happen with the K-7. As good as it is in decent light, it's limited in a way that's not readily apparent until you need it.
JMO, Good luck whatever you choose!
Ron
11-06-2013, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I concur with Ron - hold out a couple months. The K5 is at $500 now and it may drop a bit more once the K3s are really filling the market. It's worth the upgrade from K7.
11-06-2013, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter

Bonsoir,

I agree, too ...

I had a used K-7 before I got my new K-5 ... there's really no comparison in some aspects ... the K-5 just simply trounces the K-7, which is a "K-5", except with a crappy sensor ... yes, I know that statement is going anger a few, but I still shoot with my K110D, so I'm not a sensor MP snob ... maybe my K-7 was not a great copy ... c'est la vie, J