Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2013, 02:51 AM   #1

No manual focus on Sigma 50-500. !!!!!!.

I have bought a second hand model and I think it is the older model with the Sigma brand name and lens type printed in white. Very sharp optics indeed. The is no AF/Manual switch on this model. It focuses automatically well but can't be overridden. The focus ring turns but nothing happens. Is it broken or have I got a non manual spec'd model? I also have the Sigma 50-150 2.8 where the focus ring overrides autofocus at any time without AF/Manual switches. Can anybody help.

Pete

10-19-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's always the AF/MF switch on your camera

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-19-2013, 03:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
Busted Sigma 50-500

Thanks Adam,the AF/Manual button on my camera does not work this lens when turned to "Manual" The focus ring spins beautifully but still does nix

Regards Pete
10-20-2013, 04:12 AM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums!

Sounds strange that you can't focus manually even with the camera focus switch set to MF, but I don't know the 50-500. You should try posting in the Troubleshooting or Lens Discussion section so that more people might see you post.

Cheers!

10-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Is your lens like this version? Is the focus ring towards the camera, and the zoom away?

If so, your focus ring can be pushed away from the camera to put it into MF mode. It should have a slight click when pushed. That is what I suspect your lens does (My Tamron 70-200 has the same feature).

I suspect this because in the image of the older version of the 50-500, the right side above the focus ring has a line with blurry text that looks like "MF"
11-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #6

Ooo, sorry to slightly jump all over this (hello by the way, first post ) but do you happen to know how much that lens in the image above is worth, second hand? The reason I've signed up here is because I've been searching for 2 weeks on and off, trying to find out what the lens is worth. A chap in work sadly died not long ago, leaving all his gear to his niece. She isn't into photography and I haven't used Pentax since my dad used to use them a LONG time ago, so I'm trying to value it for her, but I haven't been able to locate a single lens like the one above. Everything I've seen so far seems to be a new model that doesn't have that aperture ring at the base, and even a Sigma rep wasn't sure what the lens was from the serial number I gave them.

Incidentally, I think the previous post has answered the question as I had the same problem. I had to test this lens on a K-x so was completely unfamiliar with the camera settings and assumed I'd done something wrong, but it's got a slide lock on it to change from manual to auto, and it's got a manual/AF switch on the side, plus a lock further up the lens again. It's a strange design compared to the lenses I'm used to (I use Canon normally).
11-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peletonpete Quote
I have bought a second hand model and I think it is the older model with the Sigma brand name and lens type printed in white. Very sharp optics indeed. The is no AF/Manual switch on this model. It focuses automatically well but can't be overridden. The focus ring turns but nothing happens. Is it broken or have I got a non manual spec'd model? I also have the Sigma 50-150 2.8 where the focus ring overrides autofocus at any time without AF/Manual switches. Can anybody help.

Pete
In the lens review section about this lens I see that someone wrote:
. It has a focus ring that is disengaged until it is pulled back toward the mount, where it then allows manual focus (camera autofocus intended to be disengaged when doing this).

Read more at: Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 APO EX DG Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

11-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bluesmachine Quote
Ooo, sorry to slightly jump all over this (hello by the way, first post ) but do you happen to know how much that lens in the image above is worth, second hand? The reason I've signed up here is because I've been searching for 2 weeks on and off, trying to find out what the lens is worth. A chap in work sadly died not long ago, leaving all his gear to his niece. She isn't into photography and I haven't used Pentax since my dad used to use them a LONG time ago, so I'm trying to value it for her, but I haven't been able to locate a single lens like the one above. Everything I've seen so far seems to be a new model that doesn't have that aperture ring at the base, and even a Sigma rep wasn't sure what the lens was from the serial number I gave them.

Incidentally, I think the previous post has answered the question as I had the same problem. I had to test this lens on a K-x so was completely unfamiliar with the camera settings and assumed I'd done something wrong, but it's got a slide lock on it to change from manual to auto, and it's got a manual/AF switch on the side, plus a lock further up the lens again. It's a strange design compared to the lenses I'm used to (I use Canon normally).
In the lens reviews referenced above you can see what the lenses sell for.
11-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I no nothing about your lens, but you may already have the answer, either pushing or clicking the focus ring to engage manual focus, anyway welcome to the forum from me.