Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2013, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New member introduction

Hi everybody,

This membership actually covers myself (Mike PEAK) and my daughter (Yasmine Yanqiu ZHANG-PEAK). Yasmine is studying (Digital) Photography and I am getting back into photography, to help Yasmine. For the past 20 years I have only been a compact camera snapper, but now (in retirement) I can devote more time and money to my former past-time.

We have a K30 with a DA 18-55mm AL WR, a DA 50-200mm ED WR and a Metz 58 AF-2. I have also resurrected my old film camera, a Ricoh XR-X and the Tamron lenses I bought with it (adaptall 2 SP 28-80mm [27A], adaptall 2 70-210mm [46A]). Also a Ricoh PX flash and a Vivitar 550FD (Ricoh dedicated). To supplement these I have another XR-X, with a Rikenon 35-70mm, PX and Ricoh 260P flashes; a Metz 48 AF-1, a Tamron SP 500mm mirror [55B], a Tamron SP 90mm [52B] - my favourite lens, some Cokin style filters, flash diffusers and a few other bit and bats.

At the moment I am rediscovering photography and my tastes and ideas are very broad. Yasmine's work depends on the current college assignment, but she likes, and I think has a talent for, portraiture.

I hope to be able to reply to any questions and I will set up a Flickr account for work I think is worth showing. In the mean time here is one of mine. Preston Docks, Sunset, 19/Oct/2013, Pentax K30, DA 18-55mm AL WR set at 31mm (35 equiv.), 1/50 s, f7.1, +0.3, ISO 200, purple grad filter.

Regards

Mike

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
10-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Mike & Yasmine, and welcome to Pentax Forums. You've made an impressive start here, and you've chosen a good starter kit for digital work. I think you'll also find some interest in your work with the XR-X, as there is an active group of film users here (not to mention more than a few occasional dabblers in the medium).

Enjoy your time here, and using your cameras.

Rob
10-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
HI Rob,

I have only got the XR-X gear together to try to make my daughter think before she shoots - no instant review, paying and waiting for film and processing should lead her to think and compose better; instead of shoot 1000, delete 990 and process the remainder in Photoshop. BTW I think the XR-X is / was the best value for money in film cameras. Got some magic photos with it 20+ years ago.

The only processing in the Docks photo was reducing it to 1160 x 768 for the upload limit. Other wise untouched.

Many thanks for the welcome.

Mike
10-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a very cool image - welcome aboard!

10-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #5

Hey!

Hi nice to meet you guys! I'm Felipe from Brazil
10-22-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the forum and please post us another image or two soon ... Salut, J
10-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks everybody for the welcome.

Sorry for the delay, but we have been busy for a couple of days.

We have done a little hunting around the site and forums and will be interested in the "Tammy Club" - We currently have 4 Tamron lenses and we are looking to add a couple more to the collection.

Also had a quick look at the Ricoh section, but was disappointed by a zero result on an "XR-X" search. We currently have 4 (3 working with film in, and one working but with a fault) and 3 more on the way. In my opinion one of the best (certainly in value for money) general use film cameras every produced [Mike].

Looking forward to getting involved.

Regards

Mike & Yasmine