Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #1

Hey what's up guys, I'll be quite honest I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm a film student and I don't know much about actual cameras, I'm good with the other aspects of film. Anyway, I just bought a Pentax Kx because I read that it's a great camera to start off with and it's great for upcoming film students. I bought it with a 50mm-200mm lens, and I don't know much about it other then the length and all. If anyone could explain basics to me that would be great because I'm eager to learn about this all, especially all the notches on my camera; I'm learning them to an extent but nothing concrete. Also, does anyone have a smaller lens I can buy for cheap? I need to be upclose to film some stuff and the lens seems a little long to do that, I'd have to stand back to do this.

10-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the forum and please do not be shy about asking questions ... post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J
10-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Starters?

Hello RJDobbins, Welcome to the Forum!
For a shorter focal-length lens, probably your best bet would be the kit zoom, an 18-55mm. This is a wide angle-to-short telephoto zoom, and it will match up nicely with the telephoto zoom, giving you an effective 18mm to 200mm range with two lenses.
It's been made in three versions; First, the DA-L 18-55, this version had some sharpness issues that were addressed with the second version, the DA 18-55mm II. Last, Pentax released the 18-55mm II WR. This is version II with 'Weather Resistant' seals added. That is the best version. You can find the II and II WR used for around $100-$150 used (US Dollars), if you look at the Marketplace here or eBay,
Second, I don't think anyone can write out an entire 'Basic introduction to DSLR photography' on a camera forum. I suggest you do some research, either at school or online. If you have a specific question, you'll get answers here, but a general 'Tell me what all the buttons do and which ones to push?' query is asking a bit much, don't you think?
The users manual for your camera is available online and there are books, videos and written tutorials that start with A and go to Z. Once you've read/watched those and applied what you've learned to taking photographs, you're well on your way to improving your skills.
That's the point where we should be able to help you.
Ron
10-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd watch for a DA16-45 if you want a very good short zoom lens, but it is twice the cost of the 18-55. You should be able to find one used here in the Marketplace for around 200 bucks.
The advice above is good, though, if you want to spend less.

You can also look for lenses on Criagslist like the older Promaster zooms, which are pretty good. I picked up a 28-105 a while ago (with a film body attached) and it's surprisingly good at around 50-70mm.

The Magic Lantern books are pretty good too - I don't know if there's one specifically for the Kx, though.

10-31-2013, 12:57 AM   #5

Just use limited fixes lenses. It's WOW!