Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello from the Midwest!

Hey folks! I just joined in hopes of trying to win that K-50 giveaway. I've always wanted to join anyways, so that was a good push. I've currently been using a K-30 since last May as a present to myself. It's my first DSLR and it's been so wonderful to me. I hope that I learn from you folks for better techniques and hope you're not too rough with me.
Oh, I'll also include a few of my photos, so please feel free to critique them! But please don't just say they suck. I'd like to have an actual critique if there's one.

erm, couldn't get the photos into the post properly, so I'll just leave the link..
IMGP5044 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMGP4877 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMGP2001 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

10-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the forum and K-30 ... Salut, J
10-28-2013, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Car Buff, Huh?

Hello NomNamNom, Welcome to the forum!
Good to see another car enthusiast onboard, there's several here! I mostly go to 'classic' car shows and cruises, 50's and '60's are my favorites.
As far as your photos go, they're all well-exposed, clear and sharp enough. But all three have more or less, the same flaw.
You didn't check the background. The first one has a guy growing out of the rear window. Move to the right and try again (just kidding, but you get the point).
Second photo, the subject car is sharp, but right behind it is an an out-of-focus SUV of similar color. Plain backgrounds are good, blurry is good, blurry/similar subject AND color backgrounds are bad. Move to the left.
Third photo, try a different angle and the sign/ poles aren't sticking out of the roof.
So, you're doing a lot of things right, just check behind the subject before clicking.
Ron
10-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello NomNamNom, Welcome to the forum!
Good to see another car enthusiast onboard, there's several here! I mostly go to 'classic' car shows and cruises, 50's and '60's are my favorites.
As far as your photos go, they're all well-exposed, clear and sharp enough. But all three have more or less, the same flaw.
You didn't check the background. The first one has a guy growing out of the rear window. Move to the right and try again (just kidding, but you get the point).
Second photo, the subject car is sharp, but right behind it is an an out-of-focus SUV of similar color. Plain backgrounds are good, blurry is good, blurry/similar subject AND color backgrounds are bad. Move to the left.
Third photo, try a different angle and the sign/ poles aren't sticking out of the roof.
So, you're doing a lot of things right, just check behind the subject before clicking.
Ron
Thanks for the wecome guys!

Also, thanks for the critique Rbefly! I'll keep that in mind when I'm out next!