Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #1

Hey there from NL

Hello there!

I'm new to this forum and I'm a proud owner of a Pentax K-x.

I'm very new to photography and before I had this penax I got a Nikon D60. It was a fun camera to learn and experiment with but ofcourse I wanted something better. Looking whether I should go Nikon or Canon I found out about Pentax. I tried it and loved it. They are great.
Browsing our secondhand market I got a used Pentax K-x to get used to Pentax. So far I really like it and it's a nice upgrade from my D60 to satisfy me untill I can buy the K-3.

I got the body with:
Sigma 55-200 1:4-5.6
Pentax-FA 1:3.5-5.6 28-80mm.
A uv filter
Some flash I probably never really use.

That for 200 euros. Was it a good deal in your eyes? The more proffesional opinions?
It doesn't matter if it isn't, I'm just curious. In my eyes it's very good since I have alot more range, low light performance and most of all stabilisation in the body. I even managed 1/4s sharp shot out of my hands.

Downsides compared to the D60 is the battery and the battery life. It uses AA... The screen is also much harder to see in light and less sharp. But the gain of Live View makes up for it.

Greetings from a Pentax newbie.

10-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum!
10-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What's A Deal?

Hello HolyCheese, Welcome to the Forum!
I'd say you got a pretty good deal...my online converter indicates 200 Euro is about $285-$300 USD.
A used K-x goes for about $200-$300, so you nearly got your investment back on the body alone. Of course, the price of a DSLR body greatly depends on the condition and number of actuations.
The Sigma lens came in a couple of versions, check the lens reviews (3rd party lenses) for the exact model and (general) price range.
That Pentax zoom comes from the late film era and isn't too well-regarded optically, but there are some examples of good photos taken with it. Again, check the Pentax lens reviews here for tips on getting the best results. That may be a lens you can look to upgrade in the future.
UV filters are cheap, in fact if you have lens hoods you don't need it!
Be aware that many older flashes have a trigger voltage that's much too high for DSLR's and can fry the onboard flash when used! There's sites that list the useable and non-useable flash models, just Google 'Pentax DSLR flash Voltage'.
Overall you did well for a starter kit, hope you enjoy the gear! Post some photos when you can.
Regards,
Ron
10-30-2013, 03:50 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hey, thanks for the info! It seems the sigma sure is good, considering the price. The lens is defenitely the best if the two. The 28-80 isn't that bad. Still better then what I had and the few extra mm at the top are very welcome. One review said it makes the pictures warmer. That's actually nice since I like the look.

Anyway, my next upgrade will probably be a xx-80 or xx-115 with macro posibility. I really love macro shots.

10-31-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... enjoy the forum and your K-x kit ... and please post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J
« hello | New Member »