Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
so very much better for (belatedly) owning a pentax

had a pentax (slr) many years ago and then the brand (pentax) escaped me in the intervening years...with the marketing prowess (if that's the right word?) of canon sony panasonic fuji and nikon pushing pentax out of my considerations. have been trialling cameras for a few years now in an effort to find something special..especially with regard to all-round value. been meaning to give pentax a thorough examination .. and I have eventually entered after trialling many of its competitors. enter: the k-01. my first noticeable impressions were centred (uk writer) around the picture quality. they are so damn good and I am of the clear opinion that I have left the best until last. the mechanics of the camera (and I think it might be true of pentax in general) are clunky loud and a little slow by comparison to the competition..but the picture quality of the pentax is so very very much better. now as the trialling/spending dust settles (nowhere near the camera) I am left with two cameras. the k-01 and the sony nex f3. both feel highly portable and both are commendable in low light. the pentax edges it for its earthy quality and the sheer clarity richness of its photos..but the sony is (for me) the better 'giving' all-round camera. the k30 is on my (when affordable) wish-list and I feel sure that once in my hands/possession that it will become highly treasured and be a sony crushing 'all things' to this one man. those of you lucky enough to have the higher end k series cameras will (rightly) feel smugly satisfied with your lot and you will undoubtedly be better masters of your own photographic destiny. I am a little way from joining you and somewhat late in re-entering the world of pentax cameras..but I am there NOW and so very very much better for it.

10-31-2013, 04:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, good to have you on board with us.
10-31-2013, 05:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax DSLRS are in no way clunky or slow compared to the competition. The K-01, being mirrorless will be slower than a standard DSLR. You pay a price for removing the mirror mechanism. You'll like that once you get it. Don't forget the used marketplace here - good bargains available there.

Welcome aboard.
11-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... enjoy the forum and please post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J

11-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Welcome to the forum, good to have you on board with us.
thank you for your welcome
11-01-2013, 04:39 AM   #6

Original Poster
one of the real photographic plus points within the internal workings of many modern cameras is the ability to take 'stitched' (in camera) panoramic photos. am wondering why this has not found its way into pentax cameras?
11-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stefan22 Quote
one of the real photographic plus points within the internal workings of many modern cameras is the ability to take 'stitched' (in camera) panoramic photos. am wondering why this has not found its way into pentax cameras?
Because it is so easy to do it in post-processing?

11-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Download Huggin free on-line and pano away….
11-01-2013, 06:09 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Because it is so easy to do it in post-processing?
easy? it can (I realise) be man managed/created but this is most certainly NOT an easy process. what IS easy is when the camera does it for you and my query simply relates to why pentax have NOT (unlike almost every other camera brand) made it readily available?
11-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Huggin is a free donwload, you drop the pictures in the frame, it aligns the photos and equalizes the exposures and makes you a pano… I'm not sure what the problem would be. And your wrong that Pentax doesn't let you do panos. My 5 year old Opto W10 has a pano setting. I actually find Huggin to be easier. It's not a feature on any Pentax DSLRs as far as I know. No one knows why. I also don't know why you can't bracket or do HDR on a Nikon D3200. I guess someone in camera maker land makes these decisions and runs with them.
11-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
easy? it can (I realise) be man managed/created but this is most certainly NOT an easy process. what IS easy is when the camera does it for you and my query simply relates to why pentax have NOT (unlike almost every other camera brand) made it readily available?
Whether something is easy or not depends on what tool is used and the skill level of the person using it. In the end, easy and difficult, are purely subjective terms.
As far as letting the camera do it being easier, you're right. That's why Pentax makes a full range of cameras, from point-and-shoots that require virtually no photographic knowledge to use, to sophisticated DSLRs. Some people like to take control of the artistic process and produce the result themselves, and others prefer to let the guy who wrote the firmware do it.

Last edited by Parallax; 11-01-2013 at 07:36 AM.
11-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New as well

I'm a new member as well, a K1000 owner since 1976. Love Pentax cameras, which besides some point and shoots, are all I've used.