Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi from NYC

Hi there - I've been lurking in this forum off and on for about a year. Last year, I was looking for a camera to buy my husband for Christmas (I'm the product researcher in the family) and we ended up deciding that the K-30 was a good choice for him (he's a mountain climber so the rugged build and weather resistance as well as relatively light weight were appealing to him, among other features). He has been pleased with "our choice" and is learning more about photography.

At the same time that I was researching his gift, I was choosing a camera for myself. I ended up getting (from him - a gift, you see) a Sony NEX. The small size and light weight were two key features for me - I have a badly healed rotator cuff injury (left shoulder), some lower back trouble and a severed tendon in a finger (right hand) that can make it challenging to carry heavy stuff at times.

I do love my NEX and I have been pursuing photography as a hobby pretty intensively over the past 6-7 months (since we took our first photography course), but ...

I started to get increasingly frustrated with certain limitations relating to the NEX system, in particular the limited range of lenses and difficulty in sorting out flash and other external lighting sources for the NEX (it's possible but a lot more complicated than it typically is for other camera systems). Although I love using the NEX as a walk-around camera and for my sideline in pet photography, the longest focal length available (in Sony or otherwise) without an adaptor is 210mm, for example, which isn't great for someone who wants to do more wildlife photography. The sole macro lens available isn't great either, and I realized that the odds of Sony (or Sigma or Tamron) making something like a zoom with a constant max aperture of 2.8 or so are little to none, because the lens would be so bulky/heavy relative to the size of the camera body.

So I decided to take the plunge and get a more traditional DSLR. After more research, I decided that Pentax was the way to go (and not just because there already are a few lenses hanging around the house). Happily, my father decided that a new camera system would make a great 50th birthday present for me, and I was told to "pick something" and tell him how much it cost.

Although I'm a little concerned about the weight, I decided to get the K-3 with the 18-135mm lens as well as the new WR DA 55-300mm. We have a wildlife-focused trip to Malaysian Borneo planned for my husband's and my joint 50th birthday celebration this year, so I wanted a zoom with a little more range than is typical. (I realize that I'd get better image quality with a prime lens but cost is a bit of a factor, as is size/weight of my kit and the versatility of my lenses, so I'm going to start with the zoom and see where I go from there.) We also already have at home my husband's kit lens (18-55mm), Sigma 18-250 (which has become his walk-around lens), a 1.8 50mm, and the Pentax DA 2.8 100mm WR macro.

Although I expect to continue using the NEX for some purposes, I'm want to see what I can do with my Pentax - I ordered it and the 55-300 today from Adorama and hope to have them in my hands in a couple of weeks.

By the way, I never could have figured out what I wanted without the benefit of all the helpful information in this forum, and I'm looking forward to learning more from you in the future. Thanks!

10-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! I'm sure your research will pay off in the K-3!
10-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice story there, and congratulations. You will have lots of fun with that camera and the lenses, definitely, and the trip! Happy Birthday to you both, and welcome! We look forward to some photographs from Borne, too...
David
10-31-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm certain you'll be very happy with the K-3 and lenses you've chosen. Welcome and hi from Cape Town.

10-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Iowa! Looks like you (and your husband) got some serious firepower!! Between the K-30 and the K-3 "wow!" You stated the physical issues and I suggest a good sling type strap like a Sun Sniper or the like. I made up a cheap copy with a hook and a strap. The sling tends to be easier on the back and shoulders and you can grab the camera from your side and up to the eye and shoot quick. Sorry for all the gun references but it's the easiest way to explain. Anyway works great for outdoors nature hike kind of things. In fact I never leave home without it! Enjoy the forum.
Joel
10-31-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... enjoy the forum and please post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J
11-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-3 has arrived already

Thank you for the welcomes and kind words

I'm pretty excited. I only ordered the K-3 yesterday and it was delivered today! (This is one of the things I love about NYC.) I just got it a few minutes ago and I'm charging the battery, so I'll be able to experiment with it this weekend. I've got some photo activities planned (photographing dogs and cats for an animal rescue organization I donate my time to, and photographing the NYC Marathon, which my husband is running), so I'll probably take out the new camera for at least one of those trips.
11-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Thank you for the welcomes and kind words

I'm pretty excited. I only ordered the K-3 yesterday and it was delivered today! (This is one of the things I love about NYC.) I just got it a few minutes ago and I'm charging the battery, so I'll be able to experiment with it this weekend. I've got some photo activities planned (photographing dogs and cats for an animal rescue organization I donate my time to, and photographing the NYC Marathon, which my husband is running), so I'll probably take out the new camera for at least one of those trips.
Lucky you ... enjoy the K-3 and share a snap or two, please ... J

11-02-2013, 04:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not how I planned to test WR

I was up before dawn this morning to get ready to run the NYC marathon's warm-up 5K and this meant I had a few minutes to try out my new K-3 while I had my pre-race espresso. Well, my cats were fascinated both by the espresso cup and my new toy and one of them proceeded to knock the cup of coffee all over the coffee table, within a couple of inches of the camera resting on my knees as I peered at the manual.

Thankfully, the camera paperwork sitting on the coffee table was in a plastic bag and wasn't harmed, nor was the camera or manual. And since it was only a cup of espresso there wasn't too much to clean up.
11-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Gotta love cats!! They were just trying to help with testing the weather sealing!!