Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #1

Hello from Ontario Canada (Story and Need for 35mm Help Inside!)

Hey everyone,

I'm a 19 year old student from Ottawa Ontario. I've been reading posts on this forum for a while. Particularly when I thought I was going to purchase a Pentax DSLR body. However, now my time has come to shoot Pentax and I decided to join.

I have a family history with Pentax. My dad always shot with Pentax film cameras, he was definitely a Pentaxian and might have even been on these forums. He had a K1000 with numerous lenses. When he passed I decided I wanted to get into photography. Unfortunately, I sold his kit to fund a Nikon D90 purchase. Some of the stuff got slightly damaged because I shipped it in the midst of a Canadian winter (I guess it was a sign). I definitely regret selling the kit but there is no going back. I was aware of the option to buy a Pentax DSLR body and use his lenses but for some reason I didn't want to do it.

Anyways, I really enjoyed my camera but as a student the time came where I had to sell it to put money towards other things. I was a frequent poster on another photography forum but I quit posting when I couldn't shoot anymore.

I've come to my senses and realized that I want to shoot with Pentax cameras like my father. I got a lucky break earlier this week, a family member was moving and I inherited a Pentax LX with a Pentax 50mm 1:1.2. I think its the last piece of my fathers Pentax collection.

I attached some pictures below of the camera. I apologize for the dark night pictures of the camera. I just need help with identifying the camera better and getting it back in working order. I know I need to give it a good cleaning (it's very dusty), check the batteries, and get some film for it. I'm just aching to get out and take some shots but I've been quite busy.

Apologies for the long post, I just wanted to share my Pentax history with you guys.

11-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... enjoy the forum and that's an excellent LX and lens combo ... a "dream combo" for me personally ... do not sell it, use it, practice, get another Pentax DSLR, and practice, practice with the f1.2 ... you are very lucky ... please post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J
11-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard. That's a nice win, I'd like an LX, too!
11-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Iowa! A 50mm f 1:1.2 WOW! Never actually touched one, but the way Pentaxians talk it is the dream come true totally covered in pixie dust lens!! Romance comes in many forms! I've got the lowly f:2 But I still wont part with it for the world!!
Joel

11-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys!

As a young person I'm not really familiar with older Pentax stuff so after doing some research I was pleasantly surprised when I found out what I had. I really love 50mm lenses and I'm happy to have a nice one.

I definitely wont sell this set-up. I'm going to use it for a while and then maybe grab another used lens or two. I've always wanted a K-5 and now that the K-3 was introduced there will probably be an abundance of used K-5's/II's on the market for a good price. However, that upgrade won't be for a while.
11-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #6

Welcome.
11-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Hey, we're almost neighbors... just 3 hrs down Highway 60. Watch Kijiji for lenses when you start buying. I see a lot of good deals in the Ottawa Gatineau area, I bought my 21 ltd there.

11-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi! Good for you to start with an LX and 50/1.2. I had that lens once but I sold it on to get another (long story behind that) and it is one of the few sales I regret. I recently came across a very nice LX and spent the money. Learned my lesson about greener grass, I hope,
11-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Action Jackson Quote
Welcome.
Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hey, we're almost neighbors... just 3 hrs down Highway 60. Watch Kijiji for lenses when you start buying. I see a lot of good deals in the Ottawa Gatineau area, I bought my 21 ltd there.
3 hours is still pretty far! I'm jealous you're in the Algonquin area, I need to get out there again and bring my camera with me. I enjoy your pictures, and I'm also jealous of that 21mm.

I was pleasantly surprised when I searched up Pentax stuff for the first time on Kijiji. I had no idea there was lots of Pentax stuff and plenty of good deals to be had. I just have to get some research done on older lenses to know what I'm buying and if I'm getting a good deal. Nevertheless, I'll stick with my 50mm for now and I'll definitely be checking Kijiji in the meantime.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hi! Good for you to start with an LX and 50/1.2. I had that lens once but I sold it on to get another (long story behind that) and it is one of the few sales I regret. I recently came across a very nice LX and spent the money. Learned my lesson about greener grass, I hope,
Thanks. I'm pretty excited to learn my skills on a film camera. Its just a hassle with getting film/development where I live. There will always be things we let go that we regret. I regret selling that K1000 and learned my lesson too. I'm not letting go of this camera unless it's at the hands of another family member.
11-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dan,

Welcome to Pentax Forums.

Your father invested very well in that LX and 50/1.2. Hope you get plenty of enjoyment from that excellent kit.

You're probably aware that the lens will work well on modern Pentax DSLRs. There is plenty of useful information on the Forum here concerning set up and use of manual focus lenses.

- Craig
11-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DanDan Quote
Thank you.

I was pleasantly surprised when I searched up Pentax stuff for the first time on Kijiji. I had no idea there was lots of Pentax stuff and plenty of good deals to be had. I just have to get some research done on older lenses to know what I'm buying and if I'm getting a good deal. Nevertheless, I'll stick with my 50mm for now and I'll definitely be checking Kijiji in the meantime.
The lens review section of the forum is great for that. YOu can look up anything and find out roughly what a fair price is.
11-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks again guys, I've been looking at the lens review section for hours and still feel like I haven't cracked the tip of the iceberg.

Craig, its nice to see another Pentax shooter from Ottawa. I saw someone shooting a Pentax last weekend, could have been you! I do know about the compatibility of Pentax Lenses/DSLRs which is why I was kicking myself for selling the lenses I had.
11-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, IMHO that's still one of the best combos I've ever and still own, enjoy your photography.