Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

Hello from Romania

Hello everybody..
I've been a long time reader of pentaxforums and finally decided to register; unfortunately the id "cooler" was not available so i had to add 13 to it (minor inconvenience).
I'm almost 35 years old and I live in Alba Iulia, Romania. I'm an electrical engineer (I have a ph.D in electrical motors) who enjoys computers, motorcycle, music and photography.

And now a little bit of my photographic history: I'm using digital cameras from april 2002 when I bought my Toshiba PDR-M25 camera. Later I acquired a Minolta dImage S-414 followed by a Fuji Finepix 6500FD and then an Canon EOS 20D and a 40D. The Toshiba was quite a nice camera for the time and took lots of pictures while in France (I bought it online from Nomatica). I have paid around 320 Euro for it if I remember correctly; it had an extra 32 Mb memory card (smart media). I used it a few years until the card died; that was my mistake.. against my idea that you shouldn't remove the card from the camera I did just that to test a card reader I received with a new PC motherboard. I don't know if that was caused by mechanical or electrical abuse but the pictures I had copied on the PC had some corruption; once put back in the camera the Toshiba started "singing". I put the original 8 Mb card in and all was well; of course 8 Mb was way too small for my kind of use and because smart media cards were not longer been made I had to search for another digicam. Still because of the small card I bought my first laptop, a Toshiba Satellite to act as "extra memory"; that led to a very long series of laptops (I'm now close to number 200). The thing is while searching for my first digicam and reading loads of reviews I opted for the PDR-M25 because it was made by Toshiba: a very good laptop manufacturer; if you think about it a digicam is a small laptop with an exaggerated focus (pun intended) on "webcam". I sold the PDR-M25 but later regretted it; I shouldn't have parted it with it because we've been trough many things together. While on way to France to spend a monh with my girlfriend at that time my friend the driver of the truck I was traveling with stopped at a German hypermarket; while there I noticed a small shop of photo gear and saw they had a promotion on their last Minolta dImage S-414 (exhibition model). Even though I didn't had enough funds to buy such a camera and then also spend a month near Paris I did just that. I knew the camera was a very nice one and it was one of my last chances to buy it. Unfortunately 2 years later the camera started eating batteries as they all did. I took some nice pictures with it altough because of size and weight I took it less with me than I did with the smaller Toshiba. Before the camera started consuming batteries I already had acquired the Fujifilm S6500FD a VERY nice bridge; it was actually my sister who inherited the minolta that told me about the problem; while in my possession I had no such problems. I bought it from Germany trough a friend who was making business trips monthly. I enjoyed the Fuji tremendously and made many pictures with it. The larger sensor, the nice colors and the best grip of any camera I have laid my hands on kept me satisfied for longer than on previous digicams. I would have staid with Fujifilm for the next camera have they not gone in opposite direction to what I wanted. Although a superzoom I used the 6500FD more than 90% of the time at the 28mm equivalent; I wanted a camera with bigger sensor but lower zoom ratio as to have the lens a little more compact; that never happened. A friend of mine who was a music lover with lots of DJ equipment and was going to weddings asked me to take pictures at weddings; he was videotaping and I was taking pictures. Thats how I started to use his at the time EOS 20D; it was a nice camera with a pathetic screen; the screen was awful compared to the one in my S6500 that I took with me as backup camera. I had problems with the first flashes my friend gave me and was taking better pictures with the Fuji because of that. Later my friend decided to sell the Canon and asked me if I want to buy it; the price was too good to pass and although I liked more the Nikon way I ended up becoming a Canon user; later I sold the kit lens and bought a Sigma 24-70 f 2.8 Macro - a nice lens with only one major flaw (work against bright light)- and a 420EX flash. One year later a colleague from school bought a 7D and decided to sell its 40D that I ended up buying; he warned me that I should not expect many improvements but I was quite fed up with the 20D screen. I never liked Canon interface or their new cameras so decided to change the system. Two years ago I wanted to buy a camera and the choice was between Nikon D7000 and Pentax K-5. I liked more the Pentax K-5 but it was more expensive than the Nikon. I waited for Black Friday to order it but they were not able to honor the order; the price was 10% cheaper. Later that large online retailer stopped selling Pentax gear. Since I had already waited quite a bit for the K-5 I decided to wait for the next camera; my girlfriend at the time did not wait and on my suggestion bought a K-5 before Black Friday: she's been happy with it although she had some minor problems hat went away by gently tapping the camera; that was another reason to wait for the next camera. The K-5 II was not enough reasons to make me buy the camera so I kept waiting. Finally the K-3 is here but to be honest I'm not that thrilled with its IQ from the first samples. It seems a VERY good camera, definitely better than K-5 from any POV except IQ at high ISOs. So I'm on the fence now if I should buy a K-3 during Black Friday this year or buy a new or used K-5 II. My sister's son will be 1 year old on nov 28 so that is before Black Friday anyway. Also my original plan was to buy a K-3 with Sigma 18-35 but the lens was delayed to next year. If I would be to buy the K-3 I see no point in buying it now at normal price since I won't have any lens for it; by next year it would have a lower price anyway, but I really feel the need to buy a newer camera than the Canons and sell the 40D. What will happen remains to be seen.
Here's some weird stuff: I bought/liked products from companies that either were bought by other companies or stopped making those products. I was worried about Pentax too.
I like engineering, high-tech and excellence. Pentax makes probably the best bodies on the market with the best interface, that's why I want to buy a Pentax body. Too bad the lens division seems from another (worse) galaxy. At the moment from their current lens line-up there is no lens that interest me.
I hope I haven't bored you too much.
Have a nice day/evening!

11-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum................................
11-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums
11-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
bun venit!

11-03-2013, 03:06 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you / Multumesc.
I'm curious if anyone had the patience to read all that I have written.
11-03-2013, 04:05 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum. I read your entire post, and enjoyed learning about your journey from one camera to the next. I am using K-20, K-01, and K-7, and considering the K-3. I am hoping the K-3 image quality will be better than your initial assessment.
11-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooler13 Quote
I'm curious if anyone had the patience to read all that I have written.
Well I have admit I was taught to speed read back in school. I did read it but that way.
11-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your time, especially to ivanvernon
A few extra things about me that I didn't mention in my long post.
I'm the kind of guy that thinks more and works less; into photography that translates to carefully composing, exposing and than taking a picture and not a set with machine-gun like shutter behavior. I don't want to post process because I'm lazy so I'm trying to get it right from the start to minimize later work.
I'm using Linux and as software Darktable and Gimp.
Over and out..

11-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the forum and nice detailed intro ... please post post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J

11-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the forum and nice detailed intro ... please post post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J
Merci, merci.. J'etais en France pour mon projet de diplôme d'ingenieur.
I thought about posting a few pictures, some of my favorites were made with the little Toshiba; I just have to find them as I have many laptops and external drives and it's a mess in my informations.
For starters here's a picture with me taken with my 40D (not yet mine at that time) and a Tamron 17-50:

11-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooler13 Quote
Merci, merci.. J'etais en France pour mon projet de diplôme d'ingenieur. I thought about posting a few pictures ...
Thanks for your image... hope to see more. A+, J