Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2013, 03:34 AM   #1

G'day from Sydney Australia

When I logged on for the first time, the Forum asked me to introduce myself. So, here goes.

I was introduced to Pentax film cameras by my fiancee, an art student at East Sydney Tech in 1970. She was grafted to a Spotmatic. I did not purchase a Pentax until the P50 was released and I ran it with an incredibly solid Tamron Adaptall zoom lens, a 28-80mm I think. Both camera and lens were damaged beyond repair several years later when I carelessly left them on a table on a boat, which dumped them unceremoniously on the deck. They were replaced by a P30 and a rather soft kit lens after my insurance claim.

My first digital camera was a 2 megapixel Kodak fixed focus equivalent of a box camera. This was replaced by a Fuji digital bridge camera. Eventually the card slots died and I purchased my current Pentax SLR, a beautiful K10D.

I recently placed a deposit on a new K3 at Paxtons, a Sydney camera store. As you can see, I don't replace cameras until the advances in technology justify the upgrade.

As for lenses, I ran my K10D for years using the Sigma 17-70 and an APO 70-300 combination. They were what I could afford at the time. Later I purchased a Sigma 28-80 f/2.8 lens from eBay. It was seemed sooo heavy and had a lot of glass.

More recently I purchased a K-01, out of curiosity, when they were dumped. I like the pics it takes, but ... although it is a "csc" it seems to be missing the first C. I tried out some of the SMC DA primes and am still finding it difficult to adapt from my zoom lens habits.

My subjects are varied. I am not a natural photographer. My brother can virtually wave his Nikon in the general direction of something and come up with great shots ... I am lucky if I get one keeper in a hundred.

I mainly use my cameras for holiday snaps and photos of family, especially my beautiful new granddaughter. I have tried landscapes and portraits ... and am improving. My close macro shots ... difficult, still experimenting and reading. My little Pentax rugged waterproof camera takes great underwater shots and movies.

I am a retired university lecturer in information technology - 20 years in industry and 20 years at university. I wrote my first commercial program in December 1967, so I was fairly early in the field. I have been fortunate to work all my professional life at my hobby - both in programming and university education.

When I get my K3 I will take some comparison shots to see how much it differs from my K10D.

mekiAus

11-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums. There is nothing that helps us improve as much as Practice. Your new Grand daughter can give you lots of that .
11-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Hi There,

There's a few of us around and about Sydney.
There's even a social group on this site "Sydney Pentax Users Club"

Hope to see you around somewhere.
11-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF.

I'm out at Emu Plains and probably about your vintage. I've been shooting Pentax since 1968 and I think I'm the same as you in ability!

Ron B.

11-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you

Thank you for the welcomes.

I will look at the Sydney Pentax Club threads.

What type of bike do you ride p38arover? I ride a Suzuki C50, their 800 cc cruiser - very comfortable.

Cheers

mekiAus
11-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Currently riding a Suzuki DL650 V-Strom Adventure bike and a Yamaha XJR1300 naked muscle bike - the two at the back of this pic. The Honda CB400ABS in front was my wife's.

I've only ever ridden a cruiser twice - to take my neighbour's Honda for registration inspection - there and back. I had trouble finding the footpegs.

I assume you made the bike reference from my avatar and signature pic. Both are of my late son, Lee aka Bucko. The two bikes I ride were his. He was riding the V-Strom when he died.

Last edited by p38arover; 11-03-2013 at 07:35 PM.
11-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
gooday mate and welcome to the forums
11-04-2013, 01:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the forum and please post post us a K-3 image or two soon ... Salut, J

11-04-2013, 01:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Interesting how so many Aussies have been popping out of the woodwork on these forums lately..
11-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Welcome from sunny Newcastle.

Regards
11-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #11

Original Poster
Still waiting for Paxtons to receive their shipment of K-3s.
11-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome, I thought everyone in Australia was already members here, there's obvoisly a few more still to come.