Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #1

sdhc card

I have a 100d and bought a sdhc card thinking it would work and the card error reading came up...i have read on some posts about how "my 100d just died" and wondered whether attachment to the computer would be problematic.....I say this because I had read if I upload an " update" I can use the card....I have always used a usb adapter for my uploads and am scared to attach my precious 100d to the computer...are my fears unwarranted?...thanks....
dougb

11-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by djbuett Quote
I have a 100d and bought a sdhc card thinking it would work and the card error reading came up...i have read on some posts about how "my 100d just died" and wondered whether attachment to the computer would be problematic.....I say this because I had read if I upload an " update" I can use the card....I have always used a usb adapter for my uploads and am scared to attach my precious 100d to the computer...are my fears unwarranted?...thanks....
dougb
You can't use SDHC cards without firmware version 1.01, and version 1.02 adds even better compatibility. I'm not sure if there's a size limit on the cards or not, but I would stick to 4Gb cards if I were you, as those will definitely work.

Here's the firmware update:
Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

You will need a non-SDHC card to put it on.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cool another K100d user!! Something to be aware about firmware upgrades, you will want to have have brand new batteries in it. I bought a set of lithium AA's just for this. Or if you have the adapter, Plug it into the AC. If your camera shuts off in the middle of the upgrade,well lets just say!! Once it is done the shot counter on the top LCD maxes out at 999 so don't worry it's not broke! If you are wondering, I think the SDHD card does improve performance just a bit. The only downside is this removes the ability to use an old tethering program that was designed for the Ist series. I thought it was totally awesome, but the upgrade nuked it! Still mad about that!! Anyway welcome and may your K100 live forever!!
Joel
11-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #4

Original Poster
ok

thanks Adam...will do

11-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the forum and your K100D ... still use my K110D, sits in the car all the time ... please post post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J
11-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
thanks to all

great...you are a friendly group....My first slr was an me-super back in the 70's and knew that when I made the switch to digital it just had to be pentax...I wonder though about using the old lens...the drawing card for me was the ability to use the old lens with the new digital but I have never been able to figure it out....any advice?...thanks...
dougb
11-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

First you go into the menu and find enable aperture ring. Turn it on. Now you will be able to use any lens in manual focus mode. Now any manual lens that doesn't have an auto aperture setting will need to be shot wide open or manually stopped down. To stop down put your camera in m mode, set the aperture to what you want then push the AE-L button and the camera will meter properly. I'm sure I missed some details that would help. Look up shooting manual in the forum and you should get all sorts of tips.
Joel
11-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #8

Original Poster
great active formum

thanks Joel and Merci Jean...what a great group!...will try your suggestions this weekend...
dougb

11-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Here, this is what I was looking for:
How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-5, K-r, K-x, K-7...) - PentaxForums.com
There that should about cover it
11-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #10

Original Poster
awesome

thanks Joel...that's perfect..
dougb