Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #1

newbe

I grew up with a photographer dad. Inhereted his equipment when old enough. A contaflex, and rollei magic. Many year later moved to an exakta so I could spend lots of money on lenses. I recently retired and the bug has hit me again. All the old equipment is long gone so I started a stockpile of newer stuff. Starting small with a used fuji zoom, and then a nikon 8800 that actually shot in 'raw'. wow! Then the olympus 510 with the tiny sensor and impossible viewfinder. I even tried the 'katseye' which did help and cost about as much as I paid for the camera body. While working with the 510 I did learn a bit and picked up some decent mf lenses. I mostly solved the viewfinder problem by mounting a bronica prism viewfinder against the live view LCD: Much better manual focusing. Finally it was time to get a real camera and stumbled across the k-01, pretty much the power of a real SLR in a smaller package. All I needed were some adapters for my old vivitar lenses. What a difference in performance 510 to K-01. AF actually works, low light is ambient room light now. I am very impressed. It took a while to learn the organization of the menus, but was worth it. I have solved the viewfinder for the K-01 in a similar way as for the 510 by attaching a hasselblad NC-2 viewfinder to the LCD screen with an easy bracket. The resolution on the LCD on the K-01 is three times that of the 510 so there is very little pixelation of the image. I am debating the need to use 'peaking' with this setup as I can focus very accurately with the magnified nc-2 image and maybe X2 from the 'e' wheel. There are a few drawbacks with the nc-2 1 it weighs 376 grams and produces a mirror image of the LCD screen. The image is upright however. The other thing I didn't mention in this digital age is the computer and software to process my raw data: The computer is a windows machine with an old server mother board and xeon processors. The software is DXO pro 8. Very nice. Automatically corrects many issues and is very customizable. Previously I used corel/jasc paintshop pro which was good at manipulating pictures in an artistic way, but dxo works on the raw images taking into account the camera and lenses. thanks for reading my tome

11-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the Forum Michael
11-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the forum and nice intro ... please post post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J
11-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to have you here. Thanks for sharing your story.