Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 27
New member from San Jose

Greetings from a new K-30 owner here!
I've recently re-ignited my old hobby of photography (I fell in love with it in 1975 first but over the years cooled off and only used P&S or iPhone since 90s), thanks to a friend who let me borrow his prosumer Canon gear to shoot a bike race. Cycling is my passion and I wanted to take good pics of the others racing. I loved the experience enough to start shopping for my own DSLR. I set a budget under $1k and wanted to have weather-sealed setup. Pentax came up as the only option. This very friend of mine used Pentax gear before and approved my choice.
Thanks for advice on this forum I went with upgraded K-30 + 18-135 WR lens kit and was able to get that, plus good used Metz 48Af-1 flash well under budget. Very happy with setup so far!

I've shot three more races since then, now with my own camera and found that trying to focus and capture fast moving photo models is almost as much fun as racing myself

11-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,474
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, akomlik ... enjoy that new K-30 combo and please post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J
11-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 27
Original Poster
Tanks for the welcome Jean!
Just follow the links in my original message for the pics.




QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, akomlik ... enjoy that new K-30 combo and please post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J
11-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,474
QuoteOriginally posted by akomlik Quote
Tanks for the welcome Jean!
Just follow the links in my original message for the pics.
Merci bien ... some nice captures, J

11-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by akomlik Quote
Greetings from a new K-30 owner here!
I've recently re-ignited my old hobby of photography (I fell in love with it in 1975 first but over the years cooled off and only used P&S or iPhone since 90s), thanks to a friend who let me borrow his prosumer Canon gear to shoot a bike race. Cycling is my passion and I wanted to take good pics of the others racing. I loved the experience enough to start shopping for my own DSLR. I set a budget under $1k and wanted to have weather-sealed setup. Pentax came up as the only option. This very friend of mine used Pentax gear before and approved my choice.
Thanks for advice on this forum I went with upgraded K-30 + 18-135 WR lens kit and was able to get that, plus good used Metz 48Af-1 flash well under budget. Very happy with setup so far!

I've shot three more races since then, now with my own camera and found that trying to focus and capture fast moving photo models is almost as much fun as racing myself
Welcome! It's a shame my knee is in such bad shape, or maybe you'd be taking pics of me in some bike races in the area!

FYI, if you want some great practice, try the Tuesday/Wednesday nights at Hellyer. It'll have you wanting faster glass, though...
11-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 27
Original Poster
Hope you knee will recover soon!
I'd love to actually try the track riding myself at Hellyer.
I commute by bike from West San Jose to work in Mt.View and getting to South San Jose Tue/Wed night is just too far.
Today I was not planning to shoot this race since I was in it but picked the camera along just in case and passed it on to finish. I was able to capture about 2/3 of the participants who were finishing later.
Took this pic from the Patterson Pass Rd summit (the race finish point) on my way there:




QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Welcome! It's a shame my knee is in such bad shape, or maybe you'd be taking pics of me in some bike races in the area!

FYI, if you want some great practice, try the Tuesday/Wednesday nights at Hellyer. It'll have you wanting faster glass, though...
11-09-2013, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
Nice pic!

I raced that in '09 in the 4's if memory serves, don't think I was a 3 yet.

Found my old race report:

3 Passes.
70 miles.
100 degrees... in the shade.
0 percent chance of shade.
7 water bottles consumed.
8 pounds of net water weight lost.
3rd place.




$5.
11-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 32,180
Welcome to the forum, good imagery too, keep up the good work.

01-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #9
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 27
Original Poster
Well, I finally got to Hellyer Velodrome this past Saturday 1/11/14. You were right about practice! I loved it and shot a ton of pics that my models liked enough to even buy some



I used both my kit 18-135WR lens when it drizzled a bit but most pics I took with used DA18-250 I just got off Craigslist locally. Neither is "fast" in terms of light but they did quite ok.

Seemingly slower old school screw-drive DA18-250 provided for proper focusing on fast approaching targets despite low light conditions of overcast winter afternoon.

This shot was made with DA18-250 at max zoom, ISO1250 f/7.1 1/800s


And of course off-camera flash helped later during the day.

This one is DA18-135WR at 100mm, ISO400 f/7.1 1/180s

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
FYI, if you want some great practice, try the Tuesday/Wednesday nights at Hellyer. It'll have you wanting faster glass, though...
01-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
6BQ5's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nevada, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,086
Welcome! I grew up in San Jose and I remember "sneaking" into Hellyer as a kid to ride my Montgomery Ward branded 10 speed in the Velodrome. The park ranger caught me fair and square and gently escorted me out.
01-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
Nice pics. Glad you were able to make it out.
01-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #12
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 27
Original Poster
Thanks! I plan on actually renting track bike and riding there too! Set to do beginner session on 1/25

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Nice pics. Glad you were able to make it out.
01-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
Awesome, it's great fun. The instructors are usually pretty good too.

My advice: don't stop pedaling.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
budget, friend, gear, k-30, pentax, setup
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from San Jose jnldaddy Welcomes and Introductions 2 10-09-2013 12:35 PM
Greetings From San Jose, CA WSG Welcomes and Introductions 12 04-29-2012 06:46 AM
Potential scammer - new member jose DanielT74 General Talk 4 06-11-2011 02:01 PM
Hello From San Jose Chun Welcomes and Introductions 5 02-08-2008 11:27 PM
New member from San Diego Mr CJ Welcomes and Introductions 2 03-27-2007 05:08 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:07 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top