Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #1

No Camera yet. Set on a K-50 though

Greetings!

Newbie here. I have no camera as of yet, DSLR anyway. I've been researching for the last couple months, wanting to purchase a DSLR for my wife (me) because she (I) want(s) to take better, more creative photos of our two boys. This forum/website has been invaluable in compiling information on all makes of DSLRs, let alone Pentax. Thanks for that!

Long story short, I narrowed it down to Pentax K-50 18-135mm kit, Nikon D5200 18-105mm kit and a Canon Rebel T4i 18-135mm kit. I am coming in at entry level experience and knowledge, but I want something that will allow me to grow a little beyond entry level equipment (T3/T3i, D3100/3200). I think the D5200 and the K-50 both fit that bill. I would regrettably own the Canon right now as B&H had refurb 18-135mm kits available for $650! I waited to long and they ran out. I had the credit card in my hand, ready to buy. I'm not upset. What pushed me to the K-50 over the D5200 was two things. Weather sealing and better, cheaper lens availability. I live in AZ and its dusty. We go to San Diego a lot and it's sandy. We go to Flagstaff often and it's snowy. I don't want to have to put my camera away whenever things get dirty. I like that I can use any K-mount lens, regardless of age, on a K-50. I've found some very decent F/FA series lenses can be had at really good prices. If she (I) decide(s) for some reason that photography just isn't for her (me), I won't have spent a ton of cash getting started.

Pentax, here I come!! As soon as I find a decent price on a K-50 18-135mm kit, I'll pull the trigger. I am hoping Black Friday/Cyber Monday will turn out a smoking price. I'll post when I've taken the plunge. Thanks again.

Ryan H.

11-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smokinthunder1 Quote
Greetings!

Newbie here. I have no camera as of yet, DSLR anyway. I've been researching for the last couple months, wanting to purchase a DSLR for my wife (me) because she (I) want(s) to take better, more creative photos of our two boys. This forum/website has been invaluable in compiling information on all makes of DSLRs, let alone Pentax. Thanks for that!

Long story short, I narrowed it down to Pentax K-50 18-135mm kit, Nikon D5200 18-105mm kit and a Canon Rebel T4i 18-135mm kit. I am coming in at entry level experience and knowledge, but I want something that will allow me to grow a little beyond entry level equipment (T3/T3i, D3100/3200). I think the D5200 and the K-50 both fit that bill. I would regrettably own the Canon right now as B&H had refurb 18-135mm kits available for $650! I waited to long and they ran out. I had the credit card in my hand, ready to buy. I'm not upset. What pushed me to the K-50 over the D5200 was two things. Weather sealing and better, cheaper lens availability. I live in AZ and its dusty. We go to San Diego a lot and it's sandy. We go to Flagstaff often and it's snowy. I don't want to have to put my camera away whenever things get dirty. I like that I can use any K-mount lens, regardless of age, on a K-50. I've found some very decent F/FA series lenses can be had at really good prices. If she (I) decide(s) for some reason that photography just isn't for her (me), I won't have spent a ton of cash getting started.

Pentax, here I come!! As soon as I find a decent price on a K-50 18-135mm kit, I'll pull the trigger. I am hoping Black Friday/Cyber Monday will turn out a smoking price. I'll post when I've taken the plunge. Thanks again.

Ryan H.
Great choice & welcome aboard!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You can never go wrong with a Pentax, you have over 50 years of lenses available to you and some can be had a very little money.
Welcome to the Forum.
11-10-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
Forum Member

I bet you would be happy with any of the three cameras.

One thing nice about the k-50 is that it has two control wheels. Once you become adept at adjusting shutter speed and aperture, two control wheels makes life so much easier and faster.

Also, you mentioned cheap F and FA legacy lenses. The K-50 has focus peaking, which makes manual focus very easy. This opens the door to A, M, K, and M42 (with adapter) lenses also. Creativity on a budget!

11-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, Ryan ... enjoy the forum and please post us a Pentax image soon ... Salut, J

PS - This part of the "fun" of Pentax ... A few of my M lenses and my Tak's ...

11-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you know what your wanting, I can see LBA sitting over in the corner and her eyes are already glinting.
11-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Newbie here. I have no camera as of yet, DSLR anyway. I've been researching for the last couple months, wanting to purchase a DSLR for my wife (me) because she (I) want(s) to take better, more creative photos of our two boys.
Hi, I´d like to put some thoughts that may not apply at all so... (In Argentina there´s a saying "tomálo con pinzas" = "grab it with tweezers" as in not to take it too seriously or with some distrust)

First, there´s a learning curve for any photographic device but I think it gets longer as the sensor gets bigger. And about the bigger sensor, the real advantage is seen when printing big, or when you need lots of dynamic range (sunsets, special landscapes, etc). It also allows more control of the Depth of field (look some info on it, has to do with subject isolation) which is a great creative effect but also adds a big difficulty for focusing, keeping everyone in focus. Also, the focusing system on DSLRs is quite special and requires some training to get the best of it.
Second, size and weight. Although there are quite amazing options now adays, still DSLR systems are heavier and bigger than micro 4/3, compacts, bridge cameras and the like. This is not only an annoiance for carrying the equipment but also attracts a lot of attention...
Third, while true that there are excelent legacy lenses at low cost (like the F35-70 zoom that has really nice quality, small and blazing fast AF) the "kit" lenses from the F or FA series won´t be any better than the modern 18-55 kit.. technology has gotten really good for them (but still not the ideal lens for indoors). And good legacy AF lenses are not that cheap either, specially compared to modern DA50 or DA35 (but in that case, nikon has as good and cheaper options)... Unless you are ok with manual focus... then that´s a totally different game as has been pointed out.

So, to start off I´d get an advanced compact with a fast zoom lens. Fuji X10 or X20, Pentax MX-1, Samsung and Olympus something come to mind but there are quite a bit of them now... It is lighter, less intrusve, excelent AF in almost any condition, shorter learning curve, plenty of manual control, grabs less attention... And best of all, there will always be a place for it... If then you decide you still want / need a DSLR, the compact will complement it...

EDIT: I read the thing and it sounds quite discouraging from getting into DSLR world. Not meant that way but to think of the advanced compact as an intermediate step and a complement to the DSLR system in the long run..

Last edited by carrrlangas; 11-10-2013 at 05:47 PM.
11-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, great choice, and like others here, I have fantastic new and old lenses to go with film and digital Pentax bodies. Just got the 18-135 to go with my K-30 for similar reasons, though mostly of the wet version here on the east coast. Hope you find that deal!
11-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #9

I don't think you'd go wrong with a K-50. I have the K-30 (the immediate predecessor to the K-50) and am very happy with it. It's a far better camera than I deserve/can use fully.

Not sure if it's of interest to you (and not sure what taxes etc. you'd be liable for bringing it across the border) but Henry's Cameras up here has a K-30/18-135 combo listed at $870 Canadian right now and shows it as shipping next business day... I'll send a PM with the link.
11-11-2013, 02:56 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for all the welcomes! Forums like this are so nice for a beginner in a new hobby or craft. The best price I found on the K-50/18-135 kit is $819 after the Promaster $100 rebate. Found it here www.cameracraftinc.com.

This is a real good deal but I am hoping the shave a little more off the price. My benchmark is $750 after the rebate. I found one at that price on eBay from a Pentax authorized dealer in the usa. Naturally, I hesitated and someone else bought it. I'm gonna hold out through the Cyber Monday to see if a better price comes out. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Smokinthunder1; 11-11-2013 at 03:33 PM.
11-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #11

Original Poster
I took the plunge. I got a brand new K-50 18-135 kit for $749 after rebate. It will be here Saturday. Very excited. Thanks all for the advice and help.
11-21-2013, 03:06 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
$749 after rebate
Sounds like a great deal, lets us all know how you get on with it.
11-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Sounds like a great deal, lets us all know how you get on with it.
Nice... I'm sure you'll be happy with it!
11-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're getting a terrific kit at a good price. Based on your first post, I think you (and your wife) will be pleased with the camera and the images.

Glad that the forum here was able to help with the almost limitless information.

So, welcome to Pentax Forums and have fun!

- Craig