Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #1

Hello from Livermore...

Hello out there,

I've been a Pentax user since my new K7 (what seems like ages ago), and the great user interface and results from that camera prompted me to purchase a 645D when they came out, and just recently a K3, which should arrive tomorrow.

The forum has been very helpful with the lens reviews and other topics, so it seemed like maybe it was past time to join officially. I suffer from too many hobbies, though, and actually am a forum moderator on an HT type site, for both digital audio and DIY loudspeaker construction, so life is busy! But I think I should be spending more time here in the future.

I'm trying the K3 to up my game when I need a light weight camera while hiking- I've really enjoyed using the 645 for cityscapes and other types of work, but when my GF and I went to England last summer hiking the Wainright trail coast to coast, that was too much weight and bulk out in the boonies. (for that hiking I took a couple of Sigma DP Merrills, which worked pretty well in many circumstances). But the last day out I gutted it out with the 645 and just a couple of my favorite lenses (anyone not shooting 67 series lenses on the 645D is missing out...) and got some of my best shots of the trip.

So, if I ever have some time off again (day job has taken an evil turn since this September), I hope to put the K3 to good use- looks like I'll try pairing it up with some of the FA limited lenses, starting with the 31 and 77. Let's see if Santa comes through for me at XMAS with those!

BTW, the various updates I've seen to the site over the last couple of years have been very impressive. I'm looking forward to spending more time here.

Here's an image taken with the 645 in the Czech Republic a couple of years ago while hiking trails in various locations between Vienna and Prague- I'm just a beginner, but the 645's user interface is so straight forward compared with my GF's two Nikons, it's easy to learn fast. I used to own a Nikon, too, but got converted with the K7.

11-11-2013, 03:44 AM   #2

Nice dramatic shot which appears as shot. You'll find the limited lenses are perfect for travelling light and together with the K3 will make a compact combination. Compared to the other limited lenses the 31mm is larger but still small compared to your average lenses, i have a few LTDs and keep the 31mm on my K5 as the standard lens. Hope santa surprises you, welcome to the forum.
11-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome...

Yes, no photoshopping for that shot- in fact, I don't have a copy of photoshop, though I do use both Aperture and Adbobe Lightroom for RAW development. I hear things aren't quite completely sorted out on that front for the K3 yet, but should be soon.

My plan with the limiteds is first a 31 mm, then the 77mm. Pondering whether the 43 mm is also worth investing in, but then, they are less expensive.

My really big question mark is whether I can afford to invest in the D FA 645 Macro 90mm for the 645. It's hard to find reviews for it, and the price is that of a decent new Mac Pro! But the vibration reduction, if effective, would seal the deal; it might be a lot like shooting with the 120 Macro or 67 100mm Macro, but without having to use a tripod for reasonable results. (Medium format handheld is usually a non-starter). Mmm, maybe I can sell off a guitar or two... or an arm or a leg!
11-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... enjoy the forum and great shot with great gear ... please post us another image or two soon ... Salut, J

11-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for the welcome Jean- I've got a few more from that trip, and some from the more recent trip to England this year I'll get up soon. It's too bad what Photobucket does to jogs in order to make them space efficient, but you get a notion of what the original was like- these posts are in sRGB colorspace, not AdobeRGB.

I use an Epson R3880 printer and am really happy with the performance and output on good landscape shots.
11-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Iowa! Dude you got some serious Pentax firepower there!! A K-7, K-3 and 645d! WOW! Like I'm totally geeking out here!! Looks like you will have lots to discuss here. So dive in and enjoy! Love the photo too!
Joel
11-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Joel!

I've had a number of brands of cameras in the past, almost all the majors and minors including the big 2, but since I got my K7 back when they came out, it seems I finally found what I really like. Of course, that could partly be the evolution of the hardware and just hitting the right spot, but... OTOH, my GF's D600 just doesn't do it for me, though it's better than her last Nikon. The user interface and controls just don't make me happy, though it's a good sensor with some good capabilities... it's hard to get in the zone with it.

And I bought it for her, to replace her older one- she loves it, but partly because she can use her older lenses, including Nikon film lenses with it.

This evening I had a little bit of time to play around with the K3 after putting it together and charging batteries- test snaps look pretty good, though nothing to post- but the user interface and options are a marked step up from the K7, and everything happens with more snap, such as zooming images in review. Looks very promising. The build quality is OK, though not as nice as the pictures of the silver edition would have you believe. I think it's got some real potential, especially with a couple of the FA limited lenses, and probably the DA* 100mm macro. Right now I just have the DA* 16-50, which unlike for some folks, has been quite reliable and a pretty decent general purpose lens.

It will be much more practical for rugged terrain hiking, me thinks...

But the 645 definitely has it's place in the scheme of things...

From the Czech republic in 2012...

And a few in Scotland and Northern England this year...

11-13-2013, 04:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cool shots!! The second one is a bit creepy! I like the last one best!
Joel

11-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy that new K-3 once you get your hands on her.
11-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Cool shots!! The second one is a bit creepy! I like the last one best!
Joel
Yeah, well, the guard towers and fence lines 15 clicks inside the border in the Czech Republic back when it was communist ARE pretty creepy! Sounds like we got the right effect-

Well, tomorrow I think I'm going to order a new lens just for the K3- such a tough decision, so many to chose from!