Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How Do I Become A K-5 Jedi?

Hello Everyone,

I guess up till now I have been something of an eBay gear addict. I've bought and tried and sold like a 150 cameras. I've pored over reviews. Compared specs. Scrimped and saved at times for what I thought would be the next great thing. And after all that, just last week I went ahead and bought a brand new Pentax K-5. Even though Pentax recently rolled out several new DSLR's I actually found one of the older K-5's still brand new in the box. I found it at an electronics liquidator in New Jersey. And now that I have it I have to say I really think it's the right camera for me. I really think so. And I also have to say it really did take a lot of trial and error for me to arrive at this decision!

So far I've only got the 18-55 WR kit lens. I'm pretty sure it's only going to be good for actual rainy days when I actually need a WR lens.

I've been thinking about getting the 18-135 WR, but I have a feeling it's just sort of an average lens, and may be not worth $400. I'm looking more closely at faster, shorter, non-WR lenses, and old cheap primes. Somebody advised me to go after an old M42 Super Takumar F/2 lens. He says it will deliver a degree of sharpness that will blow me away, even though it's quite an old lens. I've already spotted this particular lens on eBay for a modest Buy-It-Now price of just $50. Imagine that! But it would be a step in a different direction. I'm pretty used to auto lenses that do it all for you. I'd actually have to figure out the proper focus and exposure with this old lens. And I'd also have to get an M42 adapter for it, and I don't know if the $5 no-name adapters will suffice, or if I should get an authentic Pentax M42 adapter that costs $59. I worry the cheap adapter might somehow damage my new K-5!

So! I guess I have somehow evolved or stumbled into becoming a Pentaxian now, and any feedback and advice is welcome! And, by the way, if anyone is interested, I have a closet full of second-hand cameras for sale. There are like 60 of them! Guess I really went overboard in my search for the right camera!

11-12-2013, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congrats with your purchase. I own both the 18-55 and 18-135 WR lenses and I rarely use them. The range of the 18-135 is rather handy though and quality is decent. But it's not fast and I too think it's too pricey.

You could consider a Sigma or Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Not only are they faster, but also sharper. I own the Sigma 17-50mm and it just delivers. I very happy I have it in my lens line-up.

If you are going for manual focus lenses then you might consider replacing the focusing screen. I'm not sure how then screen on K-5 is, but it helped tons when I did so on my K-x and K-30, and I'm planning on replacing it on K-3 as well, once I get my hands on it.

Enjoy your new camera.
11-12-2013, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome!

I think I would shoot with the kit lens for a little while and see what you think are its limitations and if there are any particular focal lengths that you like a lot. If you feel like you need a longer lens, then looking at a telephoto would be reasonable. If you like the 50mm focal length than there are a multitude of prime options (some of them quite cheap if you don't mind manual focus) out there.

With regard to the 18-135, I view it as a better kit lens. It is good till about 80mm, where the corners aren't as sharp, but center is still quite sharp, but it still takes quite good photos. But it won't give you prime level sharpness, if that is what you are looking for...
11-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Congrats with your purchase. I own both the 18-55 and 18-135 WR lenses and I rarely use them. The range of the 18-135 is rather handy though and quality is decent. But it's not fast and I too think it's too pricey.

You could consider a Sigma or Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Not only are they faster, but also sharper. I own the Sigma 17-50mm and it just delivers. I very happy I have it in my lens line-up.

If you are going for manual focus lenses then you might consider replacing the focusing screen. I'm not sure how then screen on K-5 is, but it helped tons when I did so on my K-x and K-30, and I'm planning on replacing it on K-3 as well, once I get my hands on it.

Enjoy your new camera.
Thanks for the welcome messages and for taking an interest. I hope I don't let you guys down!

11-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 18-135 is better than the kit lens, and a WR lens lets you be the Jedi you yearn to be - ready for action anytime, anywhere. Watch for it second-hand here on the forum, you can get it for a bit over $300.

As far as IQ goes - it's not bad, and with care you can get great images. And remember the best camera is the one you have with you.

The little plastic wonder 35mm is a lens to consider. So are older 50mm f1/1.7 or 1.14 lenses. The A series manuals are really usable on the modern bodies.
11-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey why can't ui post in general questions? I checked the agree box.

Anyway, why are the words in the for sale ads spaced out?
11-12-2013, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... enjoy the forum and your K-5 (plus legacy glass) ... please post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J
11-12-2013, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Do not spend $59 on a Pentax Adapter K. You can find them for much less than that if you keep looking.

You can also get the well regarded SRB adapter from the UK for $35 shipped if you can't find the Pentax adapter for less.

Pentax M42 adaptor|M42 lens| Pentax K

Look for eBay auctions of K-mount cameras that come with Takumar lenses. If they are not Bayonet Takumars there may be an adapter K included. You can also check Shopgoodwill.com, though eBay speculators have pretty much ruined that site.

11-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! This is off topic, but what are you talking about regarding eBay speculators? Never heard the term before!
11-12-2013, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
Thanks! This is off topic, but what are you talking about regarding eBay speculators? Never heard the term before!
Just an example. Three years ago I bought a Super Program with three lenses, an A28/2.8, an A50/1.7, and an A135/2.8 for $168 on shopgoodwill. The A135 regularly sells for ~$200 on eBay, the A50 & A28 sell for ~$75. These days the same would cost over $200 on shopgoodwill and the lenses would end up on eBay.
11-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Just an example. Three years ago I bought a Super Program with three lenses, an A28/2.8, an A50/1.7, and an A135/2.8 for $168 on shopgoodwill. The A135 regularly sells for ~$200 on eBay, the A50 & A28 sell for ~$75. These days the same would cost over $200 on shopgoodwill and the lenses would end up on eBay.
Thanks for the info!
11-13-2013, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

If you like manual prime lenses but want auto exposure look for an A series such as A50mm 1.7

Also the A50 f2.0 is cheaper and pixel peepers say it is not as sharp but it has nice blur and is easy to find, usually with a free film camera attached.
11-14-2013, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #13
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
How Do I Become A K-5 Jedi
Welcome aboard, you also need a large delivery of the "Force" to become a fill blown Pentax Jedi.