Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #1

Prospective Pentax user requests advice on low light dance photo setup

Hello,

I'm a Fuji x and micro4/3 user who has been not able to find the low light fast movement performance I need from the cameras I otherwise love. I'm interested in photographing low light dance performance without flash and confusing / near no light club dance photography with or without flash, but as inobtrusively as possible.

I am considering a move to the new K-3 with a fast fixed lens. Any input from Pentax forum members would be greatly appreciated.

11-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to forum, it's not an easy subject, but with fast prime lenses and higher ISO speeds that K-3 offers it should be do able.
11-15-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the forum and I only have a K-5 at the moment, thus cannot say for the K-3, but it is better in many areas, AF, etc. ... plus a lot will depend upon the lens used ... Salut, J
11-15-2013, 04:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hello, bonjour! /Low light dance discussion

Thank you for a warm welcome. Jean, I just returned from Provence where I biked for 9 days-- beautiful!

With the low light dance work, I currently can get enough light in using a Fuji X sensor and a 35 f1.4 lens at ISO 6400, but I can't get any adequate autofocus from the Fuji X line. From Olympus using a 25 f 1/4 Zeiss, I can get enough light, but the autofocus is less helpful than zone focusing using manual focus.

What I'm wondering is , do either of you have experience using the Pentax K series in low light, and how well does it latch on in difficult conditions? I'm considering renting one for a weekend and giving it a try, perhaps with a 31 mm FA 1.8.

Thanks again for the welcome. I'm looking forward to giving this beautiful camera a whirl.

11-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ebouwens Quote
What I'm wondering is , do either of you have experience using the Pentax K series in low light, and how well does it latch on in difficult conditions? I'm considering renting one for a weekend and giving it a try, perhaps with a 31 mm FA 1.8.
The K-5 ii and K-3 have the best low-light sensitivity on the market. That means that they can operate their AF in conditions where other cameras won't be able to. So this is clearly a perk for your intented purpose. What's more, even though AF is not as quick in low light (obviously) it's still more than ok. I believe the K-3 would serve you well for your intended purpose.
11-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #6

Original Poster
Very helpful. Thank you for your comments.