Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please allow me to introduce myself...

...I'm a film obsessed photographer who took a camera in his hands two months ago after many long, long years and got bitten by the bug.

Usually I'm more a rangefinder guy but few days ago I found an old Nikon FM and the seller made me an offer I couldn't refuse...now I'm thinking to get a Pentax but I'm not that familiar wiith these cameras and after lurking for some time the threads of this forums I found out that I've a lot to learn, so now I'm here.

11-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, your in good company here, many film guys here and a few of those that will admit to being around through the film era like myself.
11-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you a man of wealth and taste ? Sorry...with your subject line I couldn't resist.

Dive on in - what I like about this place is that it's new-user friendly and very in-depth if you already know a lot about photography.

Welcome.
11-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the forum and please post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J

11-16-2013, 03:10 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum.

Glad to have you as a new forum member. I only hope you find the forum as pleasurable and useful as I have found it to be.

As for camera choices, lots of Pentax DSLRs are becoming highly affordable, and one of my choices, if I were in your situation, would be the K-20, a perfect platform for lots of inexpensive Pentax legacy lenses--or new lenses too, for that matter.

Good luck. Looking forward to your images and posts.
11-16-2013, 03:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome from Iowa! My favorite film camera is the K1000 (all manual). It has been a reliable friend for 30 years! But if you want to go Pentax, there are many options that are nicely priced. Plus then if you go digital later you can still use your gear!
Joel
11-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Glad to have you as a new forum member. I only hope you find the forum as pleasurable and useful as I have found it to be.

As for camera choices, lots of Pentax DSLRs are becoming highly affordable, and one of my choices, if I were in your situation, would be the K-20, a perfect platform for lots of inexpensive Pentax legacy lenses--or new lenses too, for that matter.

Good luck. Looking forward to your images and posts.
DLSR...the horror, the horror!

11-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Welcome from Iowa! My favorite film camera is the K1000 (all manual). It has been a reliable friend for 30 years! But if you want to go Pentax, there are many options that are nicely priced. Plus then if you go digital later you can still use your gear!
Joel
As a matter of matter of fact I was thinking about the K1000, it seems that you aren't a "real" photographer if you don't have one, even if I thought that a K2 would suit me better.

However alia es tracta and I just pulled the trigger on a 75XXXXX K1000, supposely made in Japan, with a 55 mm f2 lens, we'll see how it is.

For my pics, here there is a sort of self portrait outside a famous shop in London:

Taken with my trusted Leica M3 and a Soviet Jupiter 12 35 mm lens, unfortunately I'm using the scanner of my roomate and the result isn't top notch, but I think it's a fun shot.
11-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
As a matter of matter of fact I was thinking about the K1000, it seems that you aren't a "real" photographer if you don't have one
Well the magic kind of passed me by on that one.
11-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

As a matter of matter of fact I was thinking about the K1000, it seems that you aren't a "real" photographer if you don't have one, even if I thought that a K2 would suit me better.

However alia es tracta and I just pulled the trigger on a 75XXXXX K1000, supposely made in Japan, with a 55 mm f2 lens, we'll see how it is.

For my pics, here there is a sort of self portrait outside a famous shop in London:

Taken with my trusted Leica M3 and a Soviet Jupiter 12 35 mm lens, unfortunately I'm using the scanner of my roomate and the result isn't top notch, but I think it's a fun shot.
Bonjour,

You are lucky to have a real B&M camera store nearby ... do you like your Jupiter 12; it's on my Soviet "short list" among many other Russian lenses ... Salut, J
11-17-2013, 06:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour,

You are lucky to have a real B&M camera store nearby ... do you like your Jupiter 12; it's on my Soviet "short list" among many other Russian lenses ... Salut, J
Yes it's a great lens, I also bought a Summaron 2.8 for the M3 but I don't it's a great improvement, better I can't see any difference, beside the fact that the Summaron is a cumbersone lens with integrated googles and the Jupiter 12 is small and light.
11-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Yes it's a great lens, I also bought a Summaron 2.8 for the M3 but I don't it's a great improvement, better I can't see any difference, beside the fact that the Summaron is a cumbersone lens with integrated googles and the Jupiter 12 is small and light.
Re-bonjour,

OK ... thanks for your answer ... enjoy 'em both, J
11-17-2013, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #13

...I'm a film obsessed photographer who took a camera in his hands two months ago after many long, long years and got bitten by the bug.

Usually I'm more a rangefinder guy but few days ago I found an old Nikon FM and the seller made me an offer I couldn't refuse...now I'm thinking to get a Pentax but I'm not that familiar wiith these cameras and after lurking for some time the threads of this forums I found out that I've a lot to learn, so now I'm here.
Pentax cameras are great fun and good to learn on. I started with the 35mmSLD Pentax K1000. I had an unfair advantage as far as composition goes--my husband was a very good artist--also my art prof 48 years ago while I was in college. He taught me a lot about composing photos. Walter worked in many mediums from miniatures to murals, Chinese ink sketches to egg tempra, oil, water colour, mosaics and sculpture. He loved photography as well using a splendid old Leica that is one year younger than I--its only about 66! He also enjoyed using a Rollicord. Thanks to his having had several travel scholarships from the PA Academy of Fine Arts--including the Rome Prize (which made him a Fellow of the American Academy of Rome) 2 years running for mural painting, he took a LOT of photos! Thanks to his instructions on composition as well as studying both his photos and his many paintings, I learned a lot--but I will never be as good as he was--he had a very special gifted eye for photography. One of the main things is to have fun with the camera--work with it, study each shot to see how YOU think it might be better--and don't worry about making mistakes. I tell my students in Spanish Class, don't worry about making mistakes--or having a native speaker correct you. It Is GOING TO HAPPEN--just as it will with the camera. Laugh, learn--and grow from there! Enjoy!!!
« SLR to DSLR! | K3 »